5.2

Albeit not physically, Rust was able to fight some of Burn's battles. A month or so before his hatching day, a SkyWing had hers. Queen Scarlet's to be exact and as always, she invited Burn to celebrate. Grumbling from the SandWing in question during the days leading up to it was enough to make Rust silently promise to try to make it less insufferable.

Leaving the desert for the first time was... odd to say the least. Everything was so bumpy and disorganized, Rust frowning and glaring at the mountains as if they had asked him a philosophical question. The snort he got from Burn when she noticed his grudge against the terrain was enough to make him solidify his silent promise.

The entourage landed on an open balcony, a large bejeweled SkyWing and her set of guards waiting. Who Rust assumed to be Scarlet grinned at Burn while the larger dragon managed a dip of her head without ripping off Scarlet's. All of the other SkyWings were staring at Rust with open awe, surprise, disgust, etc. but Rust kept his focus on Scarlet.

"Burn, my great ally, thank you for coming to my hatching day! It has been too long since I've been in your blazing company," said Scarlet, grinning a little wider before she finally noticed Rust. "I didn't realize that you had a new little oddity in your collection. Why isn't he stuffed and pinned to a wall yet?"

Burn began glaring daggers at the SkyWing Queen but Rust intervened before she could sever alliances or Scarlet's neck. "I'm Queen Burn's version of your champion. Rust is my name. Delightful to meet ya, Your Majesty," said Rust, stepping forward and deeply bowing to the blunt royal.

"How formal," said Scarlet, looking at Rust with eyes that should've made him shiver. It probably would've had he not been used to being looked at like property on the daily. To be looked at like he was Burn's property and nothing more.

She doesn't mean to, even so, it doesn't hurt me. I know what I am, I have since the day I was born. I'm her little oddity and she's my guardian.

"As necessary, Your Majesty," said Rust, rising from his bow and pointedly not reacting to Burn's surprised look. "There is only so much time in a day, shall we start with the festivities?"

"Just what I was thinking! I have a feeling that you and I will be great friends, little Rust," said Scarlet, dramatically sweeping her wings as she led the way for her SandWing guests.

"If you'll give me such an honor," said Rust, falling into step between the two queens. "What is first on the never-ending list of blazing activities?"

"Oh, I definitely think we're going to be friends," said Scarlet, chuckling at the use of her own vocabulary. "A feast is in order, of course. How else to greet wonderful allies?"

"How else indeed," said Rust, chuckling with her. "I might not be able to speak that much. I believe I'll be too busy trying to eat majority of the banquet. I'm sure my queen will pick up the slack in conversation as she sees fit. Much to discuss about various subjects, after all."

"I see, I see," said Scarlet, again chuckling at Rust's humor. "Do you not assist in the war?"

"Not yet. My skills will come into play when they're necessary, I'm sure," said Rust with a shrug.

"I'll be waiting for the thrilling show," said Scarlet, walking into the next room with absolute authority. Burn did the same, Rust quick to copy. Soft gasps followed a sudden hush in the hall, stares mainly directed towards him.

As the queens led the way to their thrones, Rust kept his head up and ignored the stares. They could look all they wanted at his scales, question all they could about his build. What they couldn't do was do something that hasn't been done dozens of times before.