3.3

Becoming a spy was one of Obelisk's favorite fantasies. To be on the edge of discovery, only her wits to save her, was exhilarating. She could put on any mask and it would fit because she made it fit. Any personality, she could act. Any situation, she could transform.

It was one of her favorite things to do. Galaxy would humor her, name a situation and personality, before watching where her daughter would take it. Seeing how well she could act.

Without Galaxy around, Obelisk fell a little out of practice. The lying/intimidation classes filled in the gaps a little but it still wasn't quite as enjoyable as what she used to do. Even with Stonemover around, Obelisk limited herself.

Some limits from the other NightWings lifted as she grew older, one of which is her ability to travel to the mainland when she turned ten. Unlike most, she didn't immediately start begging to leave. She was fine here with her brother thank you very much.

Empathy wasn't content to let her student clip her own wings, making her tag along on a trip to gather more resources from the mainland.

Said trip turned out to be a disaster, the two cornered by a patrol of SkyWings only a little way into the kingdom.

And this is why I don't venture out of our territory.

"Why are two NightWings out of their precious little kingdom?" said the leader in a mocking tone, sneering at the two in disgust.

"Gathering supplies," said Obelisk, stepping a little forward to direct attention towards her. Her wings were expanded slightly, placing her in a pose that Empathy knew well enough to keep her mouth shut. Obelisk was taking control of the situation, just the same as she would in the council room.

"For?" a different SkyWing stepped forward, holding more scars than the rest of the patrol easily.

"Medicine," said Obelisk, keeping her answers short. As calm as her tone could be, Obelisk would rather not say more than needed and possibly get either side mad. Well, the SkyWings more mad that is.

"What, you lot can't predict enough to stay out of fights?" scoffed the leader, glaring at them like they had dragged him into one he'd rather not be having.

"Sickness is a battle you can't fight with claws and jaws," said Obelisk, returning the leader's glare with a calm gaze that held a hint of disinterest. "May we continue on our way? There is no reason for you to delay us."

"Not yet," said the leader, picking up on something that didn't exist. "Are you pretentious lizards becoming sick? Are you finally going to die out?"

"Maybe we're gathering supplies for a sickness yet to come. The death of NightWings is nowhere close," said Obelisk, taking a little pride as the leader deflated with an angry huff.

"What would happen if we were to take you to Queen Scarlet? Hideous death and suffering?" Mr. Scarred-Beyond-Belief said, joining in on the leader's prejudice.

"I won't say what will happen in a few years," said Obelisk, ignoring Empathy's stare at the back of her head. She knew what she was doing, NightWing prophecy classes taught her enough.

The SkyWings glanced at each other, silently debating whether or not to take the bait. "What will happen?" asked Mr. Scarred.

"My words will hold no meaning if you capture us, heed that as you may," said Obelisk, gaining a few nervous looks that were intended. "In about three years' time, a prophecy will be told. It will decide the war's trajectory and destiny will decide its bearers."

"Ok," said the leader, one of the few who looked completely disbelieving of her words. "Leave then if your words will hold true."

"They will," said Obelisk, nodding at Empathy over her shoulder before taking off and leaving the patrol to its devices. Empathy hurried to follow, still trying to rationalize what her student just did.