5.3

Allies in battle were as crucial as they were fickle, Burn told Rust. Interests weren't always shared but that didn't mean that they couldn't be shared with some persuasion. Persuasion was a nice way of saying threats when it came down to the MudWing alliance that the SandWing had bullied her way into.

It took a little less than three days, a good part of that Rust complaining about the wrongness of the squishy and wet ground, before the group got to Queen Moorhen's Palace. Spires of granite, stone, and some type of hardened mud created most of the palace. Despite how the hardened mud could've marred the view, it only made it all look more fortified and somewhat grand.

Burn didn't let Rust linger, quick to soar over a moat and wall that surrounded the palace before aiming for a large granite balcony. On it, a group of seven MudWings waited patiently for their allies to arrive. Burn landed first, followed by Rust then the rest of her group as the largest MudWing there stepped forward.

Covered in russet-colored scales, the MudWing who Rust assumed to be Moorhen gave a regal presence. Rubies circled her wrists as a few shined from their embedment in her scales, shining red with blood she could barely spill. Then again, she drew it from her tribe and the others in the war because of her pure dedication to the safety that she wished for her tribe. How backward was that?

"Burn," Moorhen said, nodding respectfully towards Burn.

"Moorhen," Burn said, also nodding with some type of respect.

Speaking of respect, the MudWings held little as they blatantly stare at Rust. And Moorhen was one of them. "Who is this?" Moorhen asked, her tone rather polite despite the lack of friendliness towards the SandWings.

"Rust, companion of the rightful heir to the SandWing throne," he said, stepping forward to bow to Moorhen. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Queen Moorhen."

"Pleasure's all mine," Moorhen said, responding mechanically as Rust rose from his bow. "Burn, what is the purpose of your visit? You didn't make that clear in your message," said Moorhen, changing her focus rather quickly.

"Discussing strategy is never a bad idea. Doing so in person means less of a chance for interruptions," said Burn, her reasoning making Moorhen nod along. That stopped when Burn pulled out a crooked smirk. "Besides, it's best that Rust gets to know his allies."

"Of course," Moorhen said, an edge to her voice as she caught Burn's double meaning. "Do you wish to discuss now or would rest be a higher priority?"

"A little discussion over dinner wouldn't hurt," Burn said, still smirking. Moorhen nodded along, quickly leading the way. Burn moved to walk beside Moorhen, Rust taking his place close behind them with the other MudWings who all looked similar to Moorhen. "How is everything?"

"Plenty fine, how about on your end?" asked Moorhen on cue, playing the compliant and polite ally.

"Well enough," said Burn, not returning the courtesy. Rust tuned out of their conversation for a bit, focusing on the rather plain halls that passed them. Simple as ever, designed pillars of stone supported hardened mud to create a rather plain yet somehow elegant passage.

Eventually, they walked through enough twists, turns, and stairs down to come to a grand hall. Some of the mud was replaced with granite, giving more room for designs imprinted into the walls. The long table was filled with various foods, mostly fish, fruit, and a few other animals paled in comparison to the alligator that was casually laid out on the table.

Moorhen sat at the head of the table, Burn sitting at her left with Rust quickly taking the place beside the SandWing. Everyone else filed in, MudWings and SandWings staying to their respective side. Rust waited until Burn grabbed something before taking something for himself.