3.1

Obelisk was supposed to be powerful.

One of Obelisk's favorite tales was one that was told to her by her mother. Galaxy would bring Obelisk up to a high ledge on the side of the volcano, the two of them facing towards the continent in silence. After a while, Galaxy would tell whatever story she either made up or knew by heart while she stared off into the distance as if she was living the tale.

"Before we were forced to this volcano by fear of our own, we had a grand kingdom. Mountains surrounded us, holding us dear as we decorated the grounds with our lavish designs and visions. Too harrowed by the lack of scenery on this very island, the blank slate too dark for many's tastes, one of our ancestors returned to our lost kingdom with tales of old and despite warnings of the scorned.

"He explored with vigor, awed by the designs, knowledge, and views of our tribe. Even so, fear and horror clung to the walls, dampening the effect greatly. Nothing seemed to be safe, the ghost town of a kingdom empty and jaded.

"The very power that terrified and decorated the kingdom ran through his veins. Sickness rolled through him as he remembered that it was his family line that wielded the double-edged sword that our kingdom had fallen upon. That it was his ancestor who had accidentally cut his tribe open to breathe and suffer from the smog.

"After heavy consideration and depressing thoughts, he decided to do something not heard of before. He enchanted something to give those who touched it a complete version of the same powers that he held. Something that would allow someone beyond his family line to wield those powers, hopefully, better than it had in the past.

"Despite the sentiment, he gave the means to find it to his sister. He didn't give it to her himself, enchanting something to give the message instead. His death arrived as soon as he cast his spell on the object, his life force only strengthening the enchantment.

"The message he gave has been passed down in our family ever since. Some try to find it for themselves, some try to find it to lead someone else there. To protect against those who are greedy, he created a riddle to lead to it.

"It goes like so: Upon the gem from the past's center, you will begin your venture. No matter how true an intention, one must look in a different direction. Fear continues to flow from a past's tale, edge around it before you fail. Power and greed have their own language, choose your words to be outlandish."

There was only one story per night but it was enough for Obelisk's young mind. She always put herself into the story, making herself the hero. The relatively simple story always transformed into an epic about her, how she was smart enough, strong enough, and determined enough to make a completely impossible situation turn in her favor.

I'll be a hero, Obelisk thought every night, staring out past the trees and sea to the infinite horizons. I'll know everything that I need to. I'll be strong enough for those who need me. I'll hold whatever torch handed to me without faltering.

If only that were her reality.

{(:)}

NightWings were supposed to write others' stories. They were supposed to guide the other tribes along with a few 'accurate' words and ominous warnings. Lies, intimidation, and such were supposed to come easily.

It didn't.

Obelisk spent too long daydreaming in class to completely absorb all that was being taught. Outside of those classes, Obelisk spent all of her time just flying around. The scorn and such she got from her teachers didn't process, the dragonet blissfully ignorant of how much trouble she was going to get into.