3.4

Shortened deadlines were the bane of pretty much everyone's existence.

That fact didn't change when Stonemover's week was shortened down to three days.

"I understand why they did it," Stonemover had said when the siblings found out. "Dragons are stressing out and it's best that we don't get irrational."

"What's irrational is the fact that they're pushing this when you're the guy with the soul-stealing powers. You should be the stressed one," Obelisk had retaliated with a huff.

"More like you'll be the stressed one, between the infirmary and mother henning me," Stonemover had teased.

"Why you...!" that ended in a long tirade of teasing that took the better half of a day. Those who witnessed it were in disbelief. After all, they weren't used to Obelisk being anything other than eerily calm.

The night before he had to leave, Obelisk was anything but calm.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" asked Obelisk, a hint of her desperation getting through to her voice. They sat on the ledge that had become a staple to the two, looking towards the mainland that Stonemover was about to travel to. Alone.

"I'm sure," said Stonemover, turning to smile at his sister. "I'll be fine."

"You say that but that doesn't help my worrying," mumbled Obelisk, glaring at the distant continent like it was the reason Stonemover was being ordered to leave. In a way, it was.

"I know," said Stonemover, his smile becoming nervous a second later. "That's why I wanted to give you something."

"Stone," said Obelisk in a warning tone, turning her glare to Stonemover, albeit with a lot less heat.

"You can't complain this time," said Stonemover, defending himself quickly as he pulled out two scrolls. Both of them were encased in leather, one of them with gray and the other with black. "Here."

Obelisk took the offered gray leather scroll, giving the enchanted object an incredulous look. "So what do these do?" said Obelisk, turning it over in her talons to inspect it a little more.

"They're connected. Anything written on one will appear on the other. You can clear what is visible by closing the case," said Stonemover while keeping his nervous smile. "I'll write to you every night to keep you from worrying."

"You didn't have to," said Obelisk, frowning a little at the scroll.

"And you don't have to act like the strong one 24/7," retaliated Stonemover with unexpected fire that made Obelisk stare at him in shock. "I know I'm the little brother but let me do this for you."

They stared at each other in search of answers to unspoken questions. Obelisk was quiet for a long enough time that Stonemover was worried that she would deny the gift. "Fine," Obelisk finally said, letting Stonemover sigh in relief. "Then let me do something for old time's sake."

"What?" asked Stonemover, raising an eyebrow at his sister.

She looked back towards the continent with a thinly veiled smile. "Once upon a time..."

Laughter followed her words but it quickly fell silent to give space for the story. At the end of it, with twined tails and his snout pressed into her shoulder, the two spent their little eternity in comfortable silence.

Morning brought back all of the doubts and worries but neither one of them voiced any. They didn't speak to each other as they left for the shore. Landing, they were greeted by Morrowseer, Greatness, and a couple of NightWings Obelisk didn't recognize.