Pirates and Problems...For Us

"Let's go," I said, rolling up to Rumlow. "Yeah. STRIKE, roll out!" We arrived back at the Triskelion in record time, since the roads were clear with it being so late at night. "Top floor. Pierce is here for you," Steve and I exchanged a glance. Alexander Pierce, the Secretary of the World Council and a Class-A prick, hardly ever interacted with the agents, even Level 7 and 8 ones like Rogers and I. "Captain Rogers, a pleasure to meet you. My father served in the 101st. I want you to see something," Pierce completely ignored me, instead turning on footage of an interrogation.

"Is that live?" Steve asked. "They picked up last night in a not-so-safe house," Pierce said. "Are you saying he's a suspect? Assassination isn't Batroc's line," I said. "It's more complicated than that. Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lumerian Star, he was contacted by e-mail and paid through a wire transfer. And then the money was run through 17 fictitious accounts, the last one going to a holding company that was registered to a Jacob Veech," Pierce revealed. "Are we supposed to know who that is?" Steve asked, accepting the files.

"Not likely. Veech died six years ago. His last known address was 1435 Elmhurst Drive. When I met Nick, his mother lived at 1437," Pierce said. "Are you saying Fury hired the pirates? Why?" Steve asked. "The prevailing theory? The hijacking was a cover-up for the acquisition and sale of classified intelligence. The sale went sour, and that led to Nick's death," Pierce guessed. "If you really knew Nick Fury, you know that's not true," Steve claimed. "Why do you think we're talking?" Pierce stood up as did Steve, the showoffs with full use of their legs, and approached the window.

"See, I took a seat on the council not because I wanted to, but because Nick asked me to. Because we were both realists. We knew, that despite all the diplomacy, the hand-shaking, and the rhetoric, to build a really better world, sometimes means having to tear the old one down. And that makes enemies. Those people that call you dirty because you have the guts to stick your hands in the mud and try to build something better."

"And the idea that those people could be happy today...makes me really, really angry. Captain, you and Wheels were the last ones to see Nick alive. I don't think that's an accident. And I don't think you do either," I swelled in indignation at the rude nickname. I mean, come on dude, at least be a little creative with your insults. Rolling death or Shotgun on wheels would have been so much better. "So I'm gonna ask again--why was he there?" He asked. "He told us not to trust anyone," I said.

"I wonder if that included him," Pierce suggested. "I'm sorry. Those were his last words. Excuse us," Steve picked up his shield, slinging it onto his back. It latched on with a click, and his hand dropped to his side. I rolled away from Pierce, towards the exit. "Captain," Pierce said, and we paused.

"Somebody murdered my friend, and I'm gonna find out why. Anyone gets in my way, they're gonna regret it. Anyone,"