See You Later

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" The judge asked. "I do," Romanoff and I replied, taking our seats. "Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?"  The judge asked. "I don't know what's left for him to say. I think the wreck in the Plutonic made his point fairly eloquently," She responded. "He could explain how this country is expected to maintain its national security now that the three of you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus," He responded.

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence," She defended. "Many of which you both seem to have a personal hand in telling," He snapped. "Agents, you should know that there are some on this committee, who feel, given your service records both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill," Another snapped. "You're not gonna put us in prison. You're not gonna put any of us in prison. You know why?" I asked. "Do enlighten us," He said.

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we help make it that way, but we're also the ones best qualified to defend it. And I know what you're thinking; how can I be qualified to help defend the world when I'm a murderer? But, that's the thing. I'm not a murderer. I protect people, in a sick, twisted way, I admitted, but I protect people. Crime rates dropped since I started my line of work. I saved a truckload of people who were going to be sold across the border, and I've saved countless potential lives by killing strategically. So if you want to arrest, go ahead. You know where to find us,"

-

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before," Fury approached us where we were standing in front of his 'grave.' "You get used to it," Steve said. "We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Turns out a lot of the rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come," He said. "There's something I gotta do first," Steve denied. "How about you, Wilson? I could use a man with your abilities," He said.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy," Sam denied. "Alright then. Darness?" He asked. "Maybe after I go to the coordinates you gave me," I said. He nodded, shaking our hands. "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here," He gestured towards the grave, then walked off.

 "You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you," Romanoff approached, a file in her hand. "Not going with him?" Steve asked. "No," She shook her head. "Not saying here," He said. "I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one," She admitted.

"That might take a while," I pointed out. "I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, had to pull in a few favors from Kyiv. Will you do me a favor? Call that nurse," She said. "She's not a nurse," He said. "And you're not a S.H.I.E.LD. agent," She reminded him. "What was her name again?" He asked.

"Sharon. She's nice," Romanoff gave him a kiss on the cheek, before giving me an awkward hug. "Be careful, you two. Might not want to pull on that thread," Steve opened the file as she walked away. "You're going after him," Sam said. "You don't have to come with me," He said. "I know," Sam said.

"When do we start?" He asked. "We just did...What about you, Rue? Where will you be going?" Steve asked. "I've got some coordinates from Fury to check out. If I'm right, and I probably am, it's an old S.H.I.E.L.D. base. He's probably sent a team of agents there. I'll probably be hopping from place to place. I'll stay in touch," I said. "Can't get rid of you, can I?" He asked and I shook my head. "Stay out of trouble," He called.

"Trouble's my middle name,"

The End.