chapter fourteen

4:40 pm or am (according to my pocket watch)

The sun rises in seconds, I'm startled by the sun, and my hands block the sun from my face. The magnificent Ceasers Flickermens face pops in the sky, but I stop his terrifying face away from me. My eyes are still getting accustomed to the brightness of the sun I hadn't seen in days. Feels like months.

I give a gentle smile as I am standing, feeling a moment of happiness but a mixture of pain. Ceaser Flickermen begins to name every tribute one by one and naming who killed them, then.

I'm the last one He mentions: Ceaser says proudly, "the grand victor! The one who did it all" He laughs like if this was a party and streamers were hanged wall to wall and drinks were being served. Forty seen bodies are in this arena, dead because of me? I am granted life, but they're all dead. We all sacrifice ourselves for entertainment, not even because of war anymore. I can probably guarantee most capitol children don't even know there was a war, and killing is just a normal part of the districts. The capital children probably separate themselves, and now for the rest of my life, I am considered an animal for killing all these people when it was a matter of life or death. I didn't have an option.

Ceaser Flicken ends by saying how well thought these games were and how they were extra creative. He coughs, "ahem, Haymitch... we all would like to see you take out a certain well, uh, souvenir?" He laughs in his usual arrogant tone. Of course, the watches couldn't have forgotten. I mean, I only hear the ticking of billions of pocket watches in my backpack and the one that is pounding on my chest.

Two bloody bodies lye in-front of me. One whom I called friend, Ally... she did ask a lot of questions, but that is beside the point. The other the one I was willing to get my Ally... somebody who I thought was weird or in a way unique then I realized she was beyond mad.

I crouch down to Melania. I don't dare to look at her sliced head that overflows with blood, I reach into her pocket, and I place my hand inside and feel the blood cover my skin.

Four watches are in, including hers, I look to the back of the watch, and the back says, "YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CAPITOL"... she used that when we had some paper dealing in the training, I remember now. Expect I got a beating... she didn't.

She was never capitol, she has a disability with her eyes, and they were always crossed, she wasn't perfect to the capitol eye, she was never capitol, and she never intended to be.

I stand up and sit next to Maysilee, her hands covering her throat, and her eyes bugged out of her skull. Like a fish, she's dead and lays there so unaware, so peaceful, but so tragic. I look down at her light blue eyes and shut them close. I move her long braided blonde hair to the side and in her pocket, bloody as-well...

I take away five watches, including hers. I turn her watch upside expressly down and look at the quote in the back. It says, "Any fool can be happy" she is right, but indeed, Maysilee was no fool.

Maysilee and i's relationship wasn't based on old memories or anything that I could tell in an old history book. Her family owned a candy shop, she was my sister's best friend, I knew how to get to her house, and I saw her in school. She bullied me growing up for being short, and I could hear Dahlia and her talk about boys in the room next to me. Masyilee's hair blonde but always lose. She has bright blue eyes that you could see from a mile away... she always had a lollipop in her pocket. If you brought something to her, she would give it to you. Maysilee had thin eyebrows and always denied anything that had the color red on it.

A tear falls down my cheek ever so light but carries emotional weight. My eyes squeeze shut, and I can't bear the thought that she was my sisters' best friend. She was the last from my district. She was more than what I thought she was. I knew her, but I didn't know her.