Chapter 18/Epilogue

Chapter 18/Epilogue

Fast-Forward twenty-four years.

July 4th, the awaited day. I'm drowsy and drunk. As the bright sun wakes me up, I am in my bed.. the sheets filled with mildew and the floors covered in scum. The door slams open, and Dahlia walks through the doors of my room.. she is going to give me the same speech she gives me year after year. This time her hair is picked up in braids, and she seems to look less grumpy than usual. She carries a jug filled with milk and a plate with chicken. I say to her, "you can use my money Dahlia, you know that," she replies, "this milk is Prims, and Katniss shots the chicken. I just wanted you to have a taste of handwork for a change," I reply, "out of all the flavors, you chose to be salty" Dahlia opens the curtains in my room and rips the sheets off of my bed, and says, "look presentable, Effie should be here soon to get you dressed" I reply "fine."

Dahlia helps me off of the bed, and it's me on the couch and says while she makes my bed, "Haymitch, if Katniss or Prim get reaped..." I reply, "Dahlia, don't say that," she says, "Haymitch, If they get reaped, you keep them alive," keeping alive the nieces I've met maybe once not even, I had seen Katniss in the hob and the woods before and Prim I haven't seen since well, basically never. I say back to Dahlia soberly, "I will," she says, "good... now get ready" and slams the door.

I tumble downstairs and manage to grab a bottle of liquor as I stand up and pour in down mt threat "Haymitch!" Effie, Effie trinket. Throughout the years, Effie has been through colleges and colleges, she has attempted to work for the best in the capital, but she still manages only to get district 12. District q2, for the past 24 years, I have not managed to make one kid survive even to the last seven tributes. I doubt they would do it this year, but Effie will still manage to pick up her splits and positive. Now Effie and I are assigned to work with each other for the first time. Effie got her dream as an Escort right when Evian died last year. After my games, Evian said she would only be an escort for five more years, but that five years turned into 23 very quickly. Effie got her dream, and I got well, nothing... just Effie's companionship and her positivity.

I say back to Effie, "yes" she says, "you drunk" I reply, "you have good observational skills" she grunts and pulls out a new team of people, and she says, "what shall you eat today" I reply "Effie the time" she says "Oh my goodness! The reaping starts in five minutes" and Effie hops out of the house. Almost tripping over the liquor bottles that are on the floor.

The prep team tries getting near me, but I just let them pack my stuff for the trip...

I get well, 'cleaned up' and head to the reaping.

I walk towards the stage as Effie, with her hideous attire, praises the games and gives a grandiose speech. I see my sister looking very serious and disgusted. Her eyebrows frowning, and her arms crossed. I in the midst of her talking, I walk on the stage and fall of the stage.

I wake up to hearing my niece, Katniss Everdeen, scream.

"I VOLUNTEER. I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE"

The show has just begun. 

The end.