Chapter 22: Citylights

The car rode smoothly on the highway with no traffic at this hour of day

The car rode smoothly on the highway with no traffic at this hour of day. Strong wind rushed through the window, making Dal-Mi's hair fly out as she closed her eyes to feel it on her face more prominently.

Her tears were drying up and so was her motivation to go on. She should've never taken such a big decision without any counsel. One of the major reasons she failed today was because she trusted Alex too much. She should've known he was there to recruit only Do-San as he'd showed a lot of interest in him before too.

Her decision to choose Mr. Han as their mentor was the best one she ever made. If it wasn't for him, their team might've been disbanded much earlier. Why didn't she ask him for his opinion on the contract? Was she so sure of herself that she didn't want his help anymore?

No. That wasn't the reason why she did it.

"I didn't want to think of you just as my mentor anymore," she whispered to herself, realizing her feelings before it even had time to fully blossom. She wanted him to see her as an accomplished woman who would do anything to achieve her goal. She wanted to impress him more than anyone.

"Did you say something?" Ji-Pyeong asked, turning his eyes towards her and then at the road again. "I can't hear with all this wind."

"No," she shook her head, sniffing. "I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am to let you down."

Ji-Pyeong didn't reply, his heart on the bumpers again as he wished she wouldn't think it that way.

"Do you want me to take you home?" he asked instead.

"No," she said, closing the rooftop and laying back on the car seat. "Let's just go somewhere far away."

Dal-Mi opened her eyes again to realize she must have dozed off

Dal-Mi opened her eyes again to realize she must have dozed off. Looking outside the window, she saw the evening sky and a stretch of horizon with no ending.

"Ah, you're awake?" Ji-Pyeong asked beside her.

Dal-Mi sat up straight, wiping her face and straightening her hair a little. She hoped she hadn't been drooling in his car. Even thinking about it made her feel embarrassed.