Chapter 36: D-Day

When the alarm rang the next morning, Ji-pyeong didn't need Yeong-sil to wake him up. The exhilaration he felt of marrying Dal-mi enhanced his routine by ninety percent.

It was finally the day to achieve a temporary permit for Knight.

Dal-mi strode forward to meet In-jae and Ji-pyeong, shaking off her arms to let go of any doubts her brain had. She was confident that they would pass the test without any hurdles. The engineers had performed all the test cases that runs an autonomous vehicle and each one executed with more than normal accuracy rate.

"Fighting!" In-jae said, holding up her fist.

"Is everything ready?" Ji-pyeong asked, smiling at her encouragingly.

She nodded smiling back at both of them. Nothing else could bring her luck today expect their presence. That's what she cherished the most.

Upon being called for the test drive, Dal-mi let go of a deep breath and got inside the car. Foot off the brake, hands off the wheel. Those were the only rules she needed to follow.

Glancing at the men behind her, she waited for them to set everything to initial. Receiving the go signal, she pressed the start button and Knight started moving.

Ji-pyeong and In-jae waited in the shed where the drone above was streaming it live on the TV

Ji-pyeong and In-jae waited in the shed where the drone above was streaming it live on the TV. Each one of them had their heart pacing while watching it.

The LIDAR had managed to perfectly identify the lane markings and moved in curves along the road. Pass.

Knight picked up speed stopping smoothly when a dummy pedestrian came in front of it. Pass.

The camera picked up the red traffic signal, halting the car without any jerk. Pass.

It passed through tollgates and tunnels without any trouble. Pass.

It swerved past vehicles strategically placed on the road, switching lanes each time any one of them came before it. Pass.

Dal-mi heaved out a sigh of relief, giving a thumbs up to the developer sitting next to her. They had cleared every scenario they needed to.

A sudden jerk made the car stop, making Dal-mi look around if Knight had picked up a ghost on the way. But it was simply a cat crossing the road.

Ji-pyeong and In-jae looked at each other, both of them feeling proud at how efficient her system was. There was no doubt left that it had passed with flying colors.

"Director Han," In-jae said, her eyes focused on the screen. "Looking at Cheongmyeong Company's performance today, don't you think they are meant for bigger things?"

Ji-pyeong glanced at her with confusion. "Such as?"

She turned towards him. "Such as bidding in the Smart City Project."

He raised an eyebrow. "The project landed by DQ group with a budget over a trillion won?"

In-jae nodded. "I was about to tell her earlier but I was waiting for the test drive to be complete. Do you think it'll be a good idea?"