Chapter 27: Good Boy

"Is it good?" Ji-Pyeong asked halmoni, serving her one of his rice cakes.

"It's too good," she said, feeling proud inside

"It's too good," she said, feeling proud inside. They had been preparing songpyeon for the auspicious occasion of Chuseok, a Korean Thanksgiving where they give thanks to their ancestors. It was Ji-pyeong's first time doing something like this with a family he wanted but never had. He felt delighted that he was asked to join them, his heart developing the roots of flowers before fully blossoming.

Dal-mi came back from the kitchen, phone in hand. She had called her sister but as usual, In-jae stayed busy. Dal-mi didn't blame her or anything because she knew how hard her sister was trying to beat Morning Group in their recent AI project. It was kept a secret at what they were actually building which in turn made In-jae suspicious. If a sabotage was being planned, they needed to be ready for it.

"In-Jae?" Dal-Mi's mother asked, looking up at her hopefully. They were all looking forward to being together, especially halmoni because she had lost her sight before she could even see her granddaughter's face one last time.

Dal-mi shook her head, sitting next to Ji-pyeong on the carpet.

"I work with her so I know her schedule. She really is busy these days." Dal-Mi said, hoping everyone would understand her situation. She knew for a fact why In-jae avoided being with them. Guilt was one of her sister's trademark emotion nowadays. Her decision all those years ago was now affecting her with a price she could not bear to face herself.

Ji-pyeong nodded, understanding the situation Dal-mi was in. She had been trying to make everything normal for so long that it hurt him sometimes. Even though he had no family to begin with, he felt the agony of losing them too strongly. A mistake like that takes a lot of work.

Wanting to make her feel better, he offered her one of his rice cakes. "Have this."

Dal-mi opened her mouth to let him feed her, her eyes closing for a second. She chewed and chewed, making an expression that was hard to read before gulping the entire thing down. Ji-pyeong examined her poker face, half expecting for a compliment. 

"You were lying before when you said you don't know how to cook, didn't you?" Dal-Mi said with surprise

"You were lying before when you said you don't know how to cook, didn't you?" Dal-Mi said with surprise. "Aani, how can someone make something this good on their first try?"