Chapter 29: Envy

Ji-Pyeong and Do-San sat in the cafeteria facing each other, a sight everyone was whispering about. Two handsome men who not long ago fell for the same woman. Had fate brought them together for a reason other than Dal-mi? Or was it just to torment them both with their envy? The endgame is said to be written in the stars and they might already know it in their hearts.

 Had fate brought them together for a reason other than Dal-mi? Or was it just to torment them both with their envy? The endgame is said to be written in the stars and they might already know it in their hearts

"I'm surprised to see you here," Ji-pyeong said, a forced smile forming on his face. 

A year had passed since he last saw Nam Do-san. The last memory of him was when Samsan Tech was acquired by Alex. He couldn't do much for them as they had taken that decision on their own. Somewhere down below, Ji-pyeong was glad that it turned out the way it did. Call him selfish, but he really wanted Do-san gone for Dal-mi to finally see him there.   

"2STO gave us some time off," Do-San replied in a calm voice, his appearance perfectly poised . "We are here for a month."

Do-san, Chul-san and Yong-san had finally conquered the AI world in the US. They had become the core developers of the company's AI team which was now led by Do-san. The team had been recognized for it potential to contribute to the Smart City Project in Silicon Valley.

"Ah," Ji-pyeong exclaimed, not really knowing what to talk about with him. It was so out of the blue to come to him when Do-San had been so hostile towards him. He had blamed him for not being a good mentor even when Ji-pyeong had given them his honest opinions.

In the investment world, lies don't count to much. If Do-san really wanted to be patted in the back every time his code ran without error, he should've worked in a company like 2STO from the beginning itself. Instead of developing a Start-up, he should have found a job that paid him for his skills. 

"Is that a gift for someone?" Do-San asked, eyeing the small black box in Ji-pyeong's hand. It had caught his eye the minute he saw him, but kept quiet till now because he was afraid he might not really want to know. But he did. It was killing him to know everything that happened during the year he was gone.

 It was killing him to know everything that happened during the year he was gone

"This?" Ji-pyeong replied, debating whether to tell him who it was for. 

The dream manifested in his mind like a disease without cure. The way Do-san had looked at him boastfully after winning Dal-mi's heart, scrubbing away every memory Ji-pyeong had worked for. For so long he had felt insignificant being in the sidelines, watching Dal-mi slowly fall for the Do-san from the letters when he was the real one. He would not make the same mistakes again.