Chapter 5

Levi - 
The tall man grinned at me as he pummed by arm up and down a couple of times. 

"Hello. My name is Erwin Smith. It's nice to meet you. I hope you are taking care of Hanji here." He said. I nodded and it was a couple of seconds before I could find my voice to reply.

"It's more like she is the one taking care of me. She is nice to have around." I said as I took a step back from Erwin. His eyes traveled up and down, sizing me up. I imediatly was annoyed. But, much to my surprise, his eyes went to Hanji. 

" Hanji, what happened to your face?!" He exclaimed taking in the patch over her eye. She shrugged and flushed red. I knew that she was embarresed by the remark. 

"It's nothing. It was a minor mishap." She said waving it off. I rolled my eyes and mutter something under my breath. Erwins eyes snapped to my face. They proceded to narrow before he looked back to Hanji's face. I decided to take the liberty to explain what has happened.

"She jumped in front of a co worker when he threw a punch at me. I have been looking after her as a thank you. But no matter what I do she always trumps me with something else." I retored narrowing my eyes at Hanji's grinning face. 

"Hey! What can I say? I am a nice person. Besides, it hasn't been that much." Sh said waving me off. I frowned and started to name off all the times she has helped me.

"You jumped in front of that punch meant for me. Then, a day later, you bandaged my hand after I burned it. Today, you pulled me back before a toy helicopter that was about to smash my head in. AND, after that you bought me lunch when I was busy. If that wasn't enough you let me sleep AND did my paperwork WHILE I SLEPT! What have I done? Clean your bandages 2 times. That's it." I said. She opened her mouth a couple of times as if she was going to say something, but she never did. I raised an eyebrow and she replied grudingly

" Okay okay. I have done a lot for you." I nodded a pout on my face. She stuck her tongue out at me and it turned into a glaring war. We had completely forgotten Erwin was there until a loud chuckle broke out match.

"You guys sound like an old married couple. Bickering about who did what." He said laughing. I felt my face heat up and looked at Hanji. She had a light redness to her face. I watched as she rolled her eyes and shake her head. Right then, even if I wouldn't admit it, I wished that Hanji and I had a relationship. I shook that thought out of my head.

"Yeah but I don't think i'd marry Hanji." I said. The minute the words left my mouth, i knew they sounded wrong. Hanji's face fell instantly and even though she smiled, I could still see the hurt in her eyes. With Erwin glowering and Hanji's hurt face, I backpedled qucikly.

"N-no! That came out wrong! I didn't mean it like that! I meant that you are my friend and its hard to picture us as a couple. I mean, not that you aren't a datble, its just that I can't see MYSELF being in a relationship with you. You know what I'm saying?" I asked her She nodded and I sighed, relived to get out of the hole I had dug myself into. Erwin had let up on the glowering, but he still had a hostile look to him.  Hanji stretched, throwing her arms into the air, letting a small sqeek pass her lips. 

"Look, i'd love to chat some more, but its a Monday and we have to get up early. We gotta go." Hanji said, pointing at both of us. Erwin nodded. After swapping information, Hanji waved goodbye to Erwin and I.  It was the 2 of us. 

"Well, I better get going." I said after a few seconds of awkward silence. He nodded and I walked to my car with a sigh of reliefe. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hanji
-
I looked in my rear view mirror as I drive away. I could practically feel the awkward tension from here. Drawing my eyes back to the road, I knew that they were going to be okay. I really wanted to go out to eat, but I was really tired. A weird uneasyness crept up my spine the closer i got to where i lived. Shaking it off, I got out of my warm car and walked with long strides to the door. Kris, waved at me as I jammed my key into the door. My flats made low slaping sounds as I strode across the kitchen floor. I dumped my bag on the counter and grabbed an apple. Kicking off my shoes, I headed to my bedroom to change.