Chapter 23: Let the game begin

JENNIE

I just got to bed after my call with Lisa, and I waited for her to fall asleep cause she might have another nightmare again but thankfully she didn't. 

I've never been so scared in my life knowing that she's having a nightmare without anyone with her at the moment. I was thinking that, what if I didn't call her that time? What's the worst thing that could happen to her?

Gosh, Lisa, why do I like I needed to protect you even though you have the aspect to do it yourself?

Sigh.

Thinking about her makes me feel safe and anxious at the same time. I think it's enough for me to overthink things for now, so it's better if I take some sleep, and so I did.

I hope you're okay, Lisa-ya.

****

LISA

My sleep was interrupted by my alarm going off. I had a good night's sleep after that nightmare last night, and maybe because Jennie stayed with me until I fell asleep. I check on my phone and saw Jennie's text last night.

Jennie

Sleep well and please go home to your parents' house, it's safe there for you.
Call me anytime, Goodnight Captain.

I smiled. Shit, I think I'm falling harder this time, I really am. Should I be worried? No, never.

I look at the time

8: 23 am

It's still around one in the morning there in Lithuania, so I won't call Jennie so that she can rest first; I know she slept late last night. I stretch the muscles on my body before I tidy my bed. After that, I wash my face and do my morning routine.

When I walk downstairs, I was already dressed, wearing a black shirt and denim jeans. I put on my Rolex watch then make myself some coffee. Today I'll start meeting some people who will help me find leads to my brother's case.

I don't know what will happen today, but I'll make sure to make my time here worth it. This is what I really wanted to do when I get the chance. I want to prove that my brother was killed not by accident, but because of someone planned it.

Lt. Lee helped me with this case, and I don't know how he tracked my investigator here. Talking about that person, I want to talk to him. 

I know that my Lieutenant already gets rid of him, but still, I want to know the truth about why he did that to me. I want an explanation, he's one of the people that my brother trusted in his whole existence, and I don't understand why he would do such a thing.

Trust, it's the hardest thing for me to do, like I going to be sick thinking that someone would break the trust I gave to them and it's like killing me inside. 

My thoughts were interrupted when my phone rings so I answer it without looking at the caller i.d.

"Hello?" I then put the phone between my ear and shoulder, waiting for the person to speak while I get a cup on the cupboard then pour the coffee in it.

"Lalisa Manoban?" a deep voice said, so I stop what I was doing then frown.

"Who's this?" I replied instead while I walk near the window, looking at the beautiful morning view of Seoul.

"This is Mr. Lee Dong Wook, your new investigator. It's my new number. I change it today for safety purposes," the man replied, and that's when I realized that this man was the one I contacted the moment I got here.