Chapter 3: The Truth

After leaving the hospital we arrived back at La Push about half an hour later. The drive was mostly quiet and tense. Jacob would ask me every now and then if I was too hot or cold. I would just mutter I was fine. I was too scared to make him upset with any sound of complaint. My eyes darted to my brother a few times as we made our way towards Sam Uley's home. His growl from back at the hospital lot had carved into my mind. I'd heard similar sounds from him before, but the most recent didn't sound like it was coming from a human at all. He had sounded like some type of beast.

Jacob drove us in the direction of Sam's house quickly. He wanted me back in La Push as soon as possible. He seemed to be overreacting a bit to the dangers outside in my opinion. I had heard from the couple who had given me a ride to Forks that most of the killings were happening in Seattle. Which, now that I thought about it, if Jacob happened to figure out where I was headed then there was no question as to why he was eager to take me home.

Maybe there really was some part of him underneath all of that anger and spite that still cared about me? Was all of his cruelty something Sam forced him to do, and deep down my brother (and best friend) was still there? Were Quil and Embry treating me with such cruelty because of Sam too?

No... I quickly shook that thought from my head. They were all capable of making their own decisions. Their rejection was their choice.

"We're almost there... how are you feeling?"

Jacob must've noticed the sudden pain shoot across my expression as I thought about the hurt my friends had caused me. My eyes burned with tears again but I quickly kept them from falling. His question reminded me I was sick though, because I suddenly felt my chest hurt again and my throat tighten.

No. Don't cough. Don't let him see you weak. Don't go down without a fight.

"How's your lungs? Dr. Cullen said that's where a lot of the inflammation was?"

I looked away from him to indicate I didn't want to answer.

"So this is how it's going to be, huh? Silent treatment? Guess I deserve it." Jacob glanced over at me. "But if I were you I'd take this opportunity to tell everyone how you feel... you got our attention now. We're listening."

Jacob said nothing to me the rest of the drive. The sun was starting to set behind the clouds as we pulled into Sam's rocky driveway towards his wooden cottage home tucked deep back in the forest for privacy. Once we were parked, Jacob turned his car off and got out. I stayed inside, my body shivering more as I worried for what was about to happen. I was honestly too tired to deal with being reprimanded. And Sam made me nervous, so I was certain being in his house would only make me feel worse.

As Jacob stepped away from the car towards the porch, Sam came out meeting him at the steps. They spoke for a moment, and Sam's eyes shot towards me. He nodded to Jacob, and the two made their way over to me. I stayed in the car, crossing my arms in defiance. It wasn't fair. They had no right to bring me to Sam's house. I wanted to go home to my own bed if I was about to be a prisoner.

My door opened and Sam stood beside me. I kept my eyes on my lap trying to ignore them both.

"Hannah," Sam said. He bent down so he could become level with me. "How are you feeling?"

I didn't answer.

"You had us all worried last night when you ran off like that. Your father is inside. He's glad to hear you're okay." Sam noticed I made no response and continued. "Emily's made you some fresh stew. Let's go inside and get you comfortable. You're flushed with a fever." He went to touch my cheek as if to confirm his words. I flinched away which made him stop. What made him think he had any right to touch me?