Chapter 28: The Bitter Winter

Renesmee skipped by me as she headed to the piano where Edward sat. I couldn't believe the girl who looked like a mature two year old was only 3 months old. Her hair brushed mid back, and her brown eyes held so much wisdom. "Daddy! Look what Jake gave me today!"

She held up a dreamcatcher, smiling widely.

Edward stopped playing his song and took the feathered object from her. "It's beautiful, Love. We'll have to hang it in your room later."

She nodded and took it back. She turned back towards me and skipped over. I crouched to her level so she could press her hand to my cheek. This was a common gesture between us. She showed me an image of her on my wolf back.

"Maybe later, sweetie. I promised your grandma I would help her get some food ready for dinner."

She beamed. She showed me another image. This one of a clock showing 6pm.

I giggled. "Okay. But only if you try your broccoli."

She pouted. But then she nodded. She pressed her hand one more time. She showed me an image of Mulan.

I smiled. "Now?"

She nodded.

Edward laughed. "I still can't believe you've won her over with that. Jacob is mortified."

I shrugged. "Hey... Renesmee's a princess to everyone. Why not learn how to be a female warrior too?"

Edward smiled. "I guess you're right." He then looked at Renesmee. "But we're at least sticking to educational books."

Renesmee giggled.

I grabbed the remote and turned the TV on. The DVD player on the shelf beneath lit up. I darted upstairs and grabbed the movie, then rushed back. Renesmee was already on the couch, her eyes full of thrill. I put the movie in and it started to play. As I sat on the couch with Renesmee, she moved so she could sit on my lap. I hugged her and gave her a kiss on the top of the head.

It was hard to watch Renesmee grow so fast. But I still hoped she would stop. We noticed her growth was slowing slightly. But we still weren't sure what to expect. This had Edward and Bella stressed out. And what was worse was they had not found any answers still.

Like me, Renesmee seemed to be one of a kind.

As the movie played, Edward went upstairs to speak with Carlisle more about theories. I could hear Bella on the phone in Edward's room with Charlie. Emmett and Jasper were in the garage. Emmett had been pouting a lot because he still couldn't beat Bella at the many arm wrestling contests they had. Alice and Rosalie were shopping for more clothes for Renesmee online. They had to buy new clothes every week it seemed.

I felt Renesmee play with my hair while watching the movie. She liked the feel of it and the darkness. It was different from her bronze curls. As I held her, I wondered how Seth was doing at school. He'd been at La Push most of the week, but I knew he'd be back over Saturday.

"Hannah!" Jacob whined in protest as he came inside the house. "Why?!"

I defended myself. "Hey. Don't look at me. Renesmee suggested it."

Jacob sat beside me, meeting the child's eyes. "Nessie. We talked about this. Disney. bad."

Renesmee giggled. She touched his face. He pouted. "I am nothing like Mushu!"

I laughed. "I don't know... You do look scaley to me."

He flicked me on the side of the head. I stuck my tongue out at him.