Chapter 26: The Walking Dead

(Hannah POV)

Sitting  on the couch in Carlisle's study, I shut my eyes, wincing. I'd woken an  hour before. My shoulder and back were healed pretty well. My wrist was  still mending though.

When the family heard me stir earlier, Esme  and Alice came into my room. Esme brought me some fruit and toast for  breakfast, while Alice picked an outfit for me to wear. I was able to  sit at my desk chair, but I could still feel a little tenderness here  and there.

Once Alice had an outfit, she helped me take the brace  off long enough for me to wash up. I showered, and the warm water felt  nice on the wary muscles beneath my stone skin. When I was done, I got  dressed, although it took a bit since my wrist still hurt. But once I  was dressed in the light blue sundress, I felt ten times better.

Carlisle  caught me as soon as I stepped back in the hall. He hugged me, relieved  to see I was no longer in the pain I was the night before. He said he  had checked me over while I was still asleep this morning and could tell  my back and shoulder were healing well.

He guided me down the  stairs, and into his study. Once I was situated, he looked over my  shoulder and asked me about my pain. When I told him my wrist was the  only thing really hurting still, he was relieved to hear.

"It's  healing, but you definitely will need to keep the brace on for a few  more hours," Carlisle stated, moving my fingers gently which caused  slight pain. He released my hand and grabbed my brace again.

I spoke with regret. "I'm sorry... about last night... I just got so mad at him... I didn't want to listen-"

Carlisle  brushed a gentle thumb on my cheek to stop me. "No apologies, sweetie... I  just wish you hadn't hurt yourself so much. But I understand. You've  been mistreated by so many people in your past... it's only expected that  you were so upset with Jacob last night." He moved back to my hand and  put the brace carefully back on to try not to hurt me. As he did, his  eyes landed on the crescent mark that decorated my skin. He looked  regretful.

I gave him a sad smile. "You had to... I was being irrational. I understand why you needed to do it."

He  sighed. "I'm just relieved the venom didn't affect you terribly. I  wasn't sure what would happen, but thankfully you already have venom in  you and were immune." He brushed his thumb over the mark on my lower  arm. "Looks like it will stay forever. I'm sorry."

I tried to reassure him. Shrugging, I said, "I kind of like it. My first tattoo."

He laughed. He kissed me on the forehead and then hugged me. I carefully hugged him back.

"You're  such a special daughter. Your mother and I love you so much... just know  that you can always trust us. We only want you to be happy."

I nodded against him. "It's nice to have someone I do trust my heart to."

"Come  downstairs," Carlisle whispered, pulling away so he could meet my gaze.  "I'm tired of you being stuck up here. A change of scenery will be  good. I don't think you'll hurt Renesmee. And Bella said she doesn't  smell your blood much because of your wolf and vampire scents."

I  gave a small nod. "Okay. As long as Bella won't be uncomfortable." I met  his gaze. "I will never hurt Renesmee, dad.... I love her too much... I  wish Rosalie and Jacob would believe that."

Carlisle nodded. "I know. Your heart is too good to ever kill."

After  I managed to finish getting ready, I slowly came down to the main  floor. I still didn't hear Jacob or Seth. Alice told me they had run off  with Leah earlier that morning.