Chapter 30: The Redcoats

The night before New Year's Eve, the snow fell and started to stick.

I had been waiting anxiously at the cabin for days after the Christmas party. Seth was out of school so he stayed with me most of the time. However, he did run home once a day to check on his mom, having Leah switch with him when he did this. He wanted to spend as much time with Sue as he could, not knowing what was about to come.

I was told by Leah that Edward and Carlisle had already gone to the clearing where the Volturi would meet us. The rest of the vampire witnesses and the pack were planning to meet them when the time was right. As the snow started to stick and become heavier, my heart thudded painfully.

The time had come.

Seth and Leah arrived at the cabin as the darkness of the night took over. They were here to lead me to the meeting place where Jacob, my vampire family, and the witnesses waited. Sam and his pack would join us early morning before the sun rose. They wanted to spend time with their families before the danger came. One last night with the ones they loved.

When we got to the clearing, all of us in our wolf forms, the darkness stretched across the forest and there was a heavy air. Carlisle greeted us when we arrived, telling us that it was best we stayed in the woods to not make the vampire strangers uncomfortable. He didn't want to reveal his relationship to me, in case the witnesses were listening, but I could see in his eyes he was saying how much he loved me. And he was also reminding me to stay out of the fight as long as I could if one did occur. I nodded to let him know I understood his gaze.

Jacob came over to us at some point. Leah was already asleep, wanting to get the most energy for tomorrow. I could hear Seth and Jacob were tired as well. My brother stepped over to me and pressed his nose to my own.

Whatever happens tomorrow, sis, just know I love you so much. I regret every pain I caused you this last year. If I could do it all over again, I would've never kept you in the dark the way I had. If we live through this, I hope next year will be nothing but happy memories.

My eyes burned. I whined and moved my head under his jaw. He rested his head against me to accept my hug. I love you so much, Jacob. I'm sorry for being so angry before. Even though things became a mess, you never stopped being my twin brother.

Seth whined. Aw. You guys are going to make me cry. Seth came over and pressed his face against mine. The warmth of my brother and boyfriend surrounded me, and I felt the fear and uncertainty fade for a brief moment as I enjoyed their comfort.

I stayed beside Seth the rest of the night. I couldn't sleep. I wasn't allowed to. That was the hardest part about it all. I had to stay awake or I would phase back into my other form. As Seth slept beside me. He kept his body molded around my own. I pressed my side to him and listened to the vampires talking in the clearing. They were discussing their war stories and pasts. I could also hear Emmett and Rosalie speaking to one another about how much they loved each other. Bella and Edward were with Renesmee sharing one last night they knew they had. I could hear Carlisle and Esme also sharing a moment to just be together.

As I thought about everything that would happen tomorrow, I couldn't help but think back to the events leading up to this final moment. A whole year had flown by. Since that cold January day when Embry left Jacob, Quil, and I, all the way to this moment as I rested against my imprint not sure if we would even have past morning to live, I thought of how drastically my life had changed.

January, I was a human and lost my friend Embry.

February, I lost my brother Jacob.

March, Quil finally left me too.