the kiss

"You have a crush!"

"You have a crush!"

You sigh, rolling your eyes as you sit up in bed. "I do not have a crush, Lex."

Your sister laughs, and you can envision the goofy smile on her face. "You do, too. He held your hand!"

You smile at the memory, nodding to yourself. "Yeah, we held hands."

"And you hugged."

"We did hug." You hesitate a moment. "He's very...hesitant with physical touch."

"Did something happen to him?" Lexie asks.

"Yeah, but I don't know what. It's his business, though. If he wants to tell me, he will." You scrunch your comforter in your hand before releasing it. "We're not even that close. We just met, like, three weeks ago."

"I didn't think it was a big deal when I met Ben," Lexie argues, a smile in her voice. "And now we're married."

"Okay, I get it, Lex, you had a romantic college love story," you mutter, your lips turning up at the corners.

Lexie sighs. "Bubs, you've been alone for a long time. You deserve someone nice. And from what you've told me, he seems very nice. So let yourself get your hopes up, just a little bit."

You're silent for a moment. "Thanks, Lex. You're right."

"I know I am," she says in a sing-song voice. "Okay, I gotta go. Ben and I are going out for dinner, but I'll talk to you soon, 'kay?"

"Okay," you whisper. "I love you, bubs."

"I love you, too."

You hang up, sighing when you place your phone next to you on your bed. Lexie's right—a lot of relationships for you haven't worked out the way you'd like them too. People would ghost you or just end things right when it was starting to get good. Comfortable. So normally, you don't get your hopes up when you meet someone new.

Your phone buzzes and you glance down, smiling at the caller ID. You pick it up, holding it to your ear.

"Hey, you," you answer, a smile on your face.

"Hi," he replies, and you can hear the small smile in his voice. "How are you?"

"I'm good. Just been lying in bed honestly. Wasting my day away. What about you?"

He laughs softly. "I had a great day doing paperwork."

"You like paperwork?"

"I love paperwork," he says, his voice soft. "It's calming."

"Well, I'm glad you had a good day." You trace patterns on your comforter.

He's quiet for a moment. "Do you wanna come over? We could talk. Ooh, I could show you Star Trek!"