Chapter 6: The Masquerade

Aiden hasn’t missed a day of school and I was secretly proud of him. As much as I wanted to tell him, and talk to him, I didn’t…I stood away from him.

It was hard to keep my distance, but I did it.

I knew the overly bold and in his face approach didn’t work, so I was going to attempt this one.

Honestly I didn’t even know where to begin with this whole situation and that scared me.

I looked at my wall filled with pictures of my life and I couldn’t help but feel my heart fall to pieces.

There were pictures of Aiden and I as children, playing in the sandbox, then at our pretend wedding. There were pictures that I took just of him, then both of us. Memories that we shared frozen in time and it killed me to see them.

I missed him so much. I missed his humor, the way he laughed, his smile, his sarcastic or pervy comments, I missed him in my life. But all the things that I missed about Aiden were hidden deep down inside him now, and I was going to do my best to get them back.

In school I could see Aiden looking at me with a puzzled expression form the corner of my eye as I walked past him without glancing in his direction.

I could tell he was curious to why I wasn’t bothering him, and that gave me some satisfaction to know that he noticed.

I did my best to seem like I wasn’t bothered anymore about him or anything. I didn’t do it just for him, but for my friends and family…especially Jay.

For the past week on the outside I looked like I was actually happy. I went out with Jay and his friends, I laughed and socialized as if I was the old me…but that wasn’t true at all.

The old me was Hailie Adams the girl who had a bestfriend who was always there for her. They spent most of their time together since they were about 3, they were inseparable. That Hailie had a part of her best friend inside her, and it was the best part of her.

The new Hailie had that part violently ripped from her being, and there was nothing she could about it… so she put on a show, with her best fake smile and that’s how she spent her days.

Almost a week had passed when I got a text from Dom.

Be outside in 10.-Dom’

When I read that text I felt my heart race…he wanted to me up with me because he found out something, and that scared me.

***

“What’s going on?” I asked nervously as I got into his car, he just looked at me puzzled.

“You said you would text me when you found out something, and here you are.”