𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝐧𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

Hogwarts was caught in an early October storm. There was nothing but a gray curtain of rain beyond the streaked windows, the faraway trees in the Forbidden Forest reduced to bleak silhouettes.

If Oliver was mad to have practice sessions even with this weather, then you were equally just as crazy for another reason.

During breakfast that Saturday, Hagrid sent you a letter via owl telling you that he wanted to show you another creature he's adopted. That was before the onslaught of rain, of course, and Hagrid sent another note that you didn't need to come today, but since when did a little rain stop you?

Wearing the thickest coat you could find and casting a heating spell, you brave the wet outdoors and ran to the edge of the forest where Hagrid lived. You may or may not have slipped a couple of times on your way, but all will be worth it once you reach the cabin.

And you were right. It really was worth it.

When you enter Hagrid's home and got scolded for leaving the castle afterwards, he then shows you the creature you so desperately wanted to see ever since you read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them during your first year at Hogwarts.

"A Niffler!" You exclaim excitedly as Hagrid uncovers the box where a small black Niffler resided in. "Where did you...?"

"A witch at the pub gambled the little thing," explained Hagrid. "Thought yeh wanted ter take a look. Yer always talkin' 'bout 'em."

You gently scooped up the Niffler in your hands, close to happy tears when it snuggled its long snout into your palms.

Merlin, Nifflers were too cute for your heart to handle.

You check the Niffler's gender and look up at Hagrid. "She's still a baby. Did you feed her already?"

"'Course I did," said Hagrid, "an' now all she's missing is a name. How 'bout yeh give her one?"

"Nifty," you reply immediately.

"That was quick."

You spend the next hour playing with Nifty and handing her small shiny trinkets you found in the nook and cranny of Hagrid's cabin. She already found a crevice where she can store all of her treasures, which absolutely melted you since she looked so adorable being surrounded by her pile of Knuts and nails (which you and Hagrid replaced with more Knuts since it was too dangerous).

The rain hadn't ceased, not for a moment, and it looked like the weather was only going to grow worst. You decided to finally leave before going back to the castle would become impossible. After reluctantly parting with Nifty, you trudge across the grounds with immense difficulty.

Your coat clung to your body, heavy with water, as you sprinted up the castle steps. You were drenched from head to toe, but the consequences of your actions didn't have as much of an impact as seeing a real Niffler, so you weren't that bothered about it.

As your shoes squelched along the deserted entrance hall, you hurry towards the Hufflepuff dormitories before Filch or Mrs. Norris can see you.

But then you hear footsteps coming down the great marble staircase. The small glimpse of red hair was enough to send you into a frenzy as you struggle to open the door. Your wet hands fail to turn the doorknob in time, so just when you were about to hurl yourself downstairs, someone shouts your name. You grimace, slowly turning around to face a very angry prefect.

"Percy!" You said with a forced smile. It disappears when he looked unimpressed. "About the muddy trail I left on the floor—"