Luke Kennard

Title: Don't forget me

y/n
Luke Kennard. My best friend since I was in 1st grade. Luke is 4 Years older than me, and he is leaving for college soon. The age gap is odd, but our moms are best friends, so we grew up together. "Do you have to go?" I ask Luke. "Yeah kiddo.. I gotta leave" He says as he packs away the things from his desk.

"I'm gonna miss you bubs" I say as I look at a picture of us he has hanging on his wall. "I'm gonna miss you too y/n" He says. He walks over to me and pulls me into a hug. I feel my eyes fill with tears and no matter how hard I try to keep them in, they fall. I sniffle quietly, but Luke hears. He pulls away and I look down. "Hey, look at me," He begins.

"I'm only gonna be a few hours away. I'll still come home to see you, and When you can drive, you can come see me. I promise, We're not gonna drift apart" He says, Holding my shoulders. I bury my head in his chest and cry more. His words only making the situation more real. You would think that Luke and I would have drifted once he hit High school, since he would want to be cool. We were the complete opposite though.

Once Luke went into 9th grade, I was still in 5th and I was terrified of how middle school boys would be. Luke became super overprotective and always was by my side, ready to fight any battles that may have come our way. "I'm not leaving forever you know" He says laughing. "I know"  I say.

~a few hour~

We finally finished packing. To say his room looks bare is an understatement. It looks as if we stripped it of his personality. It doesn't look like Luke's room anymore. It just looks like a room. A boring, bare room. I stand at his door, just taking it in. The reality. My best friend is leaving. Almost 8 hours away I think to myself. Middletown to Durham is a good distance. He's gonna be hours away. What if I need him.

I feel a large hand on my shoulder and immediately I know it's Luke. "Hey" I say. "Hey. You okay?" He asks, causing me to turn around. "Im good" I say as I begin to walk downstairs. "y/n" he calls. "Yeah?" I ask. "Come here" He says. I walk back up the stairs to see him standing a few feet behind the too stair, leaving me room to step all the way up. I step in front of him and stop, looking up. "What's wrong?" He asks me seriously.

"Whats wrong? Luke you're all I have. And you're leaving" I say. Am I being dramatic I think to myself. No. No way. He's your best friend I think. He's happy. He got into his dream school and hes gonna play basketball. Let him be happy y/n. My thoughts consume my mind. "Luke I'm just gonna miss you. You're my best friend" I say.

"I know. I'm gonna miss you too. But I'm
not gonna be a stranger" He says. "I'm gonna visit a lot." He adds. "I know. I just don't want you to leave." I say. I walk downstairs and into the kitchen, where his mom is standing. "Hi y/n" she smiles. "Hi Jennifer" I say to her, with a sad smile. "You poor thing. Just remember y/n he's gonna be so happy there." she says.

"Jennifer what if he forgets me?" I ask her sadly. Luke, standing at the corner listening. "Yn how could he forget you? You're his best friend." She says. "I don't know. All those people in North Carolina. Pretty girls. Cool guys. It's possible" I say, looking down. "Y/n there is no way he could forget you. Ever" She says as she rubs the side of my arm.

"yes ma'am" I say quietly. "Okay mom." He says rounding the corner he had been hiding in. "I think I'm ready" He says holding a few boxes that hadn't been packed into his car yet. "Oh! Okay honey" She says putting down her dish towel and walking outside with him. I follow a few minutes after, to see then saying goodbye.

I give them their time, and when Jennifer goes inside, I walk toward Luke. "Hey" He says and sighs. "Hi Luke." I say sadly. "Come on. Don't be so sad. Please" Be says practically begging me to smile. Instead, a tear falls. I can't help it. I hug him and cry into him. "shhh it's okay. it's okay y/n" I hear him soothe as he rubs circles on my back.

"Luke," I begin, as I look up at him. "Don't forget me. Don't forget to call sometimes and make sure I'm alive. Don't forget to come home and visit." I say to him. "y/n I could NEVER forget you."  He says. "I love you bubs" I say giving him one last hug. "I love you too kiddo.." He says pulling away and getting into his car. He drives away and I walk into his house. "Bye Jennifer" I say to his mother. "Bye y/n. Come visit soon!" she says. I begin the short walk to my house and think about how much I will Miss my Best friend.

wc: 915