Chapter 03

_______________

Off

It was my day off. I had planned to spend it with my children, but due to recent events, I would have to interview babysitters all day.

I did not understand the problem very well.

My children were relatively well-cared for, Alice was a bit shy around strangers, but she was generally a sweetie.

Theo was a bit more difficult. He was very protective of me and Alice, so he didn't really like that anyone else was part of our family.

The only babysitters he approved of were old enough to be his grandmother.

I decided that they could both help me choose their next babysitter, maybe that way, Theo wouldn't make them leave so fast.

Leaving them with a girlfriend was no longer an option. I couldn't believe I was so blind to Mook. I should have trusted Krist when he said she was a bitch, but stupidly, I put it down to his pregnancy hormones.

I was standing in the kitchen, washing lunch dishes when my phone rang. I smiled when I saw the caller ID, Gun.

Well, this was going to be interesting.

"Hello?" I replied gently.

"Off?"

It wasn't Gun.

"Chimon? What's wrong?" He sounded scared.

"We were building the tree house. He told me not to play with the nail gun, but I ignored it because it looked so cool. I had no intention of shooting him. Dad is not that good with blood, he passed out. I don't know what to do. I lowered the nail gun, but I..."

"Calm down buddy, I'm on my way."

Poor guy.

To be honest, I was a bit worried too. The boy's madness was starting to get to me.

"Theo! Alice! Put your shoes on, we have to go out!"

Hearing the urgency in my voice, they both came running towards me.

"What is happening Dad?" Theo asked.

"Gun had a little accident, so let's help him." I grabbed my keys. "Let's go."

Theo buckled Alice up when we came out of the garage. "Dad, is Gun going to be okay?"

"I'm sure he will."

Thanks to my years in construction, my own father taught me how to care for these types of injuries. He stated that with Tay on the team, we would need to be prepared for anything.

When I stopped where Gun is, Chimon ran to the car to meet me. He had tears in his eyes.

"He hasn't woken up. I'm scared, I didn't mean to hurt him."

I grabbed the first aid kit from the truck before kneeling in front of him and putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I will take care of him, I promise you, he will be fine." He nodded, but was still concerned.