Chapter 07

_______________

Off

When I parked at Gun's house the next morning, he and his brother were standing in the front yard with their arms crossed. They have their attention glued to the house that was across the street.

Theo and Alice entered on their own, so I walked over and stood next to Gun.

“What are we looking at?” The words had barely left my mouth when Jennie left her house with her sheets in hand.

She angrily threw them into a trash can nd set them on fire before screaming and going back inside.

“She's been with it all morning,” Gun said. “Apparently, she doesn't know how to use a washing machine, because that removes the itchy dust.”

“How does that make them crave s'more, doesn't it?” White said. “I'll go get the marshmallows.” He turned and went inside.

Jennie came out again with an arm full of clothes, screamed again and threw them into the basket, making the flames rise higher.

“Do I even want to know?” I asked.

“White's idea. Jennie threw us out to the police, so we went into her house and sprinkled her things with itch powder,” Gun explained nonchalantly.

I nodded absentmindedly.

I knew it had to be something like that and it was scary how the things he did were starting to make sense to me.

“Mom agreed to babysit tonight. She and Dad want to take them to Chuck E. Cheese's.”

“Shit.”

That was not the reaction I was expecting.

Gun quickly turned to me.

“She is coming.”

Well, that made me feel a little bit better.

“This is an outrage!” Jennie yelled as she got closer, her face was three shades of red.

“I know,” Gun replied, sounding completely shocked. “I can't believe you kissed my little brother!”

White chose that moment to appear with a bag of marshmallows and a clothespin.

“Hey, Hot Lips.”

“I… he…” Jennie stammered then she screamed again and went home.

Gun sighed loudly, “I love this neighborhood.”

I couldn't help it, but gaped at White. “Did you kiss Jennie?”

He just shrugged, “You have to do what you have to do and I didn’t plan on doing instant it either. No matter what she says, I think she came.” White winced at the idea.

“You better not go straight. Otherwise, there will be a lot of angry chicks in this town,” Gun warned.

“I can't believe I left my children with you people,” I teased them. “Mom will come pick them up at four and I’ll come get you at five.”

Gun crossed his arms over his chest. “Where will we go?”

“On a date. Have a nice day,” I kissed him on the nose and walked away, smiling when I heard him snort in annoyance behind me.

When I got to the office, I found Tay in the lobby with his feet propped up on the desk and a book in his hands.

He was so focused that he didn't even notice I walked in. That was very anti-Tay.