Chapter 11

_______________

Off

When awake, he was a ball of fire that he wanted to kiss one moment and hit the next.

When asleep, he was angelic. There were no sarcastic comments or threats of violence. His face was so soft and peaceful as I slowly ran my fingers through his hair.

“Ass,” he murmured.

I smiled, he was dreaming of me.

I knew that I must be sneaking back to my bedroom now, but I couldn't force myself to leave just yet.

I don’t know when I was going to get a chance to do this again, so I wanted to savor it.

Anyway, when I heard a crash in the kitchen, I knew it was time to go see that the little monsters were awake.

I unlocked the door before changing my mind and decided to go out through the window back to my room, I was glad I had enough common sense to put it on the first floor.

Without making a sound, I made my way down the hall.

I liked spying on my children because I never knew what they were going to do when I find them.

“Why do we have to eat the cereal with milk?” I heard Theo ask. “Why not juice? It's a breakfast drink.”

“My dad told me that cows could get mad and they are going to stop doing it, but Pa says that Dad is full of that word that I'm not supposed to say.” Chimon said.

“I wonder if Dad would let us have a cow. That way, we wouldn't have to go to the supermarket all the time,” Theo replied kindly.

“What are you kids doing?” I asked, making my presence known.

The two children turned to see me with their heads showing how they just raised from the bed.

“Making breakfast,” Theo smiled. “Do you want milk or juice with your cocoa balls?”

“Milk,” I answered quickly. “Can I help you with something?”

“You can be the one to wake up Daddy,” Chimon said, looking a little scared at the idea. “He tried to tickle me to death the last time I did it.”

I laughed, “Okay. I'll save you this time.”

“Thanks, Off,” he smiled.

I made some waffle mix and showed them how to use the machine. Really, all they had to do was press a button, so I figured they weren't going to give me much trouble.

Of course, they decided to find out how big they could make them, and I had to intervene. When we had everything finished, they helped me set the table on the patio.

“Why don't you guys go wake up your sister, and I'll wake Gun up?”

Chimon gave me a military salute before running after Theo up to the stairs.

It was easy to forget that Chimon was not my son and I wondered how Gun would react if he knew I was claiming him as one of my own in my mind.

He was still asleep when I entered his room So I lay down on the bed.

“Gun,” I said softly.

“Go away,” he growled.

“I can't,” I giggled. “The boys made us breakfast. Chim said I was the one to come wake you up. Apparently, you're scary in the morning.”

I'm pretty sure he grunted before sitting down with his eyes still closed. His hair was tousled, probably my fault from playing with it a lot, but he managed to tame it down.