-nine-

"You're the coffee that I need in the morning
You're my sunshine in the rain when it's pouring"

-Best Part (H.E.R. ft. Daniel Caesar)

The Golden Egg

"Cedric? Hello?? You there mate?"

Cedric blinked out of his thoughts.

Alex stopped waving his hand in front of Cedric's face.

"What's going on with you mate? You've been zoning out for the past hour," Alex said.

"Huh? Oh right.." 

"Whatever," Alex muttered, "I'm gonna to go back to the great hall."

Cedric waited as the sounds of Alex's footsteps became distant. Then he hurried upstairs to his dorm.

He picked up the shiny golden egg and started making his way to the prefect's bathroom. It was the only place he could think of to put the egg underwater where he could hear it. 

When he finally got to the prefect's bathroom, he admired the colorful waters coming from the multiple faucets. The bubbles were piling up on the surface of the warm water.

Cedric gingerly placed the egg into the bath water. As he opened it, he noticed how different it was from when he first opened it on the night of the first task.

The glow of the inside was a bright golden substance with small bubbles inside. 

Much more peaceful without the screaming, huh. 

Cedric noticed a faint melody seemingly coming from the egg. 

He hesitantly plunged his head into the warm water when instantly he heard the silky melody of the sirens,

"Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching, ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took.
But past an hour - the prospect's black
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

What? This hint was somewhat more complicated than I thought

Cedric got up and dried himself as he headed to the great hall to chat with his friends about his newfound information.

[ time skip ]

"Potter! Potter!" Cedric shouted as he tried to gain Harry's attention.

"Cedric," acknowledged Harry, as he turned around with a somewhat annoyed expression. 

"Ho- How are you?"

"..Spectacular." Harry said as confusion took over.

Cedric told Harry to bring his egg and take a bath in the prefect's bathroom, leaving the poor fourth year confused.

But Cedric had priorities. He planned a date with Y/N in the astronomy tower.

He had been working on trying to get their relationship back to good times and although it would take time to repair the pair's broken hearts, they both knew they loved each other.

He quickly strode to the Hufflepuff dorms to get dressed. He hurriedly ran over to the astronomy tower hoping Y/N hadn't been waiting a while.

Cedric finally got to the top of the stairs, huffing and panting.

Y/N turned around from the railing to greet him with a cheeky smile.

After all that running, his hair was messed up and disheveled. Cedric stood there for a minute trying to catch up his breathing.