-twelve-

"Yeah my boyfriend's pretty cool
But he's not as cool as me"

-Brooklyn Baby (Lana Del Rey)

The Second Task

It was quite strange.

I felt the coolness of the water around myself and my slowed movement. My full body was underwater. 

The bubble-head charm was working.

Well, of course it was working, it's just that I hadn't actually ever used the charm underwater.

Breathing underwater was a unique experience. Instead of the stuffy fullness from trying to not drown from drinking the water, I felt refreshed. And instead of water, it was oxygen.

The feeling was all soft and thin. But also round. The feeling of breathing in water was so surreal.

I inhaled. Exhale.

Time to go find whatever was "taken from me".

One hour.

I looked at my wristwatch. 

It had passed only about 3 minutes since I dived into the lake.

I dived deeper into the water.

My surroundings were starting to get slightly darker and murky. 

The soft, warm rays of sun were still visible around me.

Then I heard it.

The song of the merpeople.

The melody of the sirens flowed through my ears.

I quickly swam closer to the sounds. The closer I got, the louder the noise became.

I pushed through the current and through the many types of plant life in the lake.

A school of fish swam by me, heading away from the melodic music.

I pushed through the final rows of the tall plants with kelp-like features.

Then I saw the sources of the song.

There were multiple sirens swimming around.

They had elfish ears and their skin was like a reptilian. They had long tails that swished in the water as they swimmed.

There were structures around, quite like the older European architecture.

But there was a spot with more merpeople heading toward it.

I saw a clearing with 4 bodies latched onto 4 wooden stakes. One on each.

I saw Harry Potter there as well.
He looked conflicted.

I noticed his two friends that he always hung around with. 

But then she caught my eye.

Y/N. I had to get her up out of here.

I realized.

She was the prize.

Her face looked fragile and limp. She was almost colorless. Her eyes were closed.

I couldn't see the sparkle. The light in her eyes was closed off. And it hurt.

Surely the professors wouldn't have allowed these students to get injured.. would they?

I looked at my watch. There wasn't much time left.

I shot a spell at Y/N's wooden stake and pulled her into my arms.

I quickly notified Harry that time was running out.

He nodded.

I took that as a cue to leave.

I held onto Y/N tightly.

I couldn't let go of her.

I don't know why. My body acted on its own.

Pushing upwards, I kept swimming towards the surface.

Then we broke through.

The crisp, cold air immediately filled our lungs.

I tightly pulled Y/N closer to me.

She looked up at me, her eyes were fluttering with excitement and surprise.

We swam over to the deck where our professors awaited us.

My friends covered Y/N and me with towels.

She was shivering from the cold.

I quickly took off my own towel and placed it on her shoulders.

She curled her arms around me and pulled me into a hug and we stayed like that, enjoying the others' warmth.

Until my friends had started to snicker and wiggle their eyebrows and started to mock kissing motions behind my back.

Y/N caught on and laughed at them with a twinkle of amusement in her eyes.

She pulled my face into a passionate kiss and our lips met each other with sparks.

The boys quieted down in awe.

Y/N pulled away and smirked.

They hadn't expected that one, huh.

[ time skip ]

Headmaster Dumbledore cleared his throat to gain attention but the students were ecstatic.

He announced the winners of the tournament.

I had won first place.

I won. My father would be so proud to hear this.

My friends clapped me on the back, yelling in support, and I smiled for the pictures.

Harry had come in second. He saved two people.

I had to admit. Although I didn't expect him to do well. He exceeded my expectations. His spirit and heart allowed him to save someone who wasn't his to save. 

I admired that.

Victor Krum had come in third and Fleur Delacour in fourth from being unfortunately eliminated early in the round.

[ time skip ]

The whole house was chanting my name and cheering for me in the yellow common room.

I had brought the Hufflepuff house, two wins.

I stepped up and everyone quietted a bit. "With this tournament, we'd proven that Hufflepuffs aren't just kindness, loyalty, and pushovers. Although. It's all Y/N. She helped me in both tasks. I don't know if I would have won without her help."

My friends yelled loudly for Y/N.

She stood next to me, sheepishly grinning, and holding onto the side of my arm.

"Well, I had to.. it was all you anyways," I whispered into her ear.

With this second task, they hadn't given a hint for the third and final task.

We had no idea what the last part of the tournament had in store.

a/n: hEYY!! double update :)