21

The Royal Palace of Eraklyon, West Wing

Sky's POV

I held my darling daughter in my arms carefully as I and Bloom walked down the hallways of the palace. She was already dozing off again and it felt like every single moment of time I spent with her, just watching her quirks and listening to her voice and just holding her, my heart swelled impossibly more with love and adoration.

"So," Bloom started off, "Skylar already has a room here."

I felt myself grin at that. "I can't wait for the both of you to officially move in. We'll redecorate of course -  the whole West Wing is for the Crown Prince and his family. Before, it was just me and Brandon." And it was only so much more suffocating when he moved to Solaria and it was just me in these daunting and empty halls.

"I sort of feel like this is all a dream, everything is happening so fast," Bloom sighed, moving closer to brush a strand of hair out of Skylar's face, gently wiping away her drool with a handkerchief. I let out a light chuckle when Skylar audibly muttered "cotton candy" in her sleep, and Bloom's eyes softened. "This is what I've always wanted for Skylar."

She breathed a deep breath and sighed. "Living together, with both her parents, in the place where she's meant to be. That's what she deserves. Having breakfast together and being able to enjoy the love of her father as well as her grandparents and so many people who already love her. Not staying over at our elderly neighbours whenever I'm at work and even having to tag along to the police station and crime investigation sites even occasionally."

I could sense the self-berating and regret radiating off her. "Bloom, you did the best you could, and you did an awesome job," I tried my best to assure her. Bloom shook her head worriedly. 

"She's so much different from other kids her age. She's so mature and sensitive and well, advanced. Most kids don't think as clearly as she does or express themselves as clearly. I feel like she's growing up so, so fast when I really want her to just enjoy being a kid more, instead of being burdened by adult stuff."

I looked at the little girl in my arms and couldn't help but agree that she was growing up too fast. I had already missed so much of her growing up, and I really wished that she would slow down in the days to come so I could savour it more. "But, did you really expect any child of ours to be otherwise?" I raised a brow at her and smiled. "She's our child, Bloom. Of course, she would be different. She's one of a kind." I said as I gently kissed her hair. 

"Well, yeah," Bloom visibly relaxed at that. "I suppose I overthought it. " I motioned for her to open the door on the left side of the hall.

Behind the polished ebony, the door was a grand bedroom with a canopy bed draped with velvet, a matching chaise. A gold chandelier hanging from the ceiling. An empty bookcase and toybox were on the far side of the vast room, and the whole room was carpeted in red. The door to the ensuite bathroom was framed in gold as was the door to the room, and there was a subtler door leading to a walk-in closet. Nothing was touched yet except for the bed, which was filled with white pillows and soft blankets. My parents were right in saying that we would have a lot of decorating to do.

I could already see that I wanted a window seat for her reading and to fill the play area with stuffed toys and a drawing easel tailored for her size.  We would have to refurbish and paint the whole room, and it would all be blue, of course, her favourite colour. The ceiling could be painted with clouds to replicate the sky! And we'll fill her closet with dresses and outfits fit for our little princess.

I gently laid Skylar on the bed. She yawned and immediately latched on to a nearby pillow. She looked so peaceful enveloped by all the white pillows and Bloom made sure she was covered adequately by a blanket. I sat by the bed and just gazed at my little girl - she was so sweet and adorable and spirited - and she was my daughter.