Six

Two weeks had passed without any news from The Burrow and the constant uncertainty had begun to take its toll on the occupants of Shell Cottage. Bill and Fleur spent their days cleaning their new home, trying to keep themselves distracted. While Ginny had taken to avoiding the others at all costs, having moved to her own room on the fourth night there. 

Olivia felt lost without George, spending every day sitting in the same spot on the beach, waiting for a sign. When she was beginning to lose hope that one would ever come, a bright blue light appeared in the sky and flew down into the cottage. She stood up, ran inside, and stopped in her tracks when she saw Arthur Weasley's Patronus floating in the kitchen. Bill, Fleur, and Ginny approached it slowly as Arthur's voice spoke to them.

"Family safe, do not reply, we are being watched.", the message was brief before the Patronus disappeared. 

"That's it?", Olivia whimpered. The other three stared at the spot where the Patronus had been only moments before, looking defeated. In a huff, Ginny turned and stomped up the stairs. Fleur walked to the living room, perching on the arm of the couch. 

"They're doing the best that they can.", Bill kept his voice steady while he defended his family.

"I need to go back! If George is stuck at The Burrow then I should be there with him!", Olivia snapped, letting her emotions cloud her judgement. 

"Right now you are safer apart!", he growled.

"That's easy for you to say! You get to be here with your wife!"

"Do you think that any of this is easy? This isn't exactly how I pictured the start of my marriage, having to babysit you and my sister!"

"Then, by all means, take me back!"

"I can't! I promised Dad and George that I would keep you and Ginny safe!", he blurted out, a look of instant regret covering his face.

"Bill!", Fleur scolded her husband from the couch, knowing that he had said too much. Olivia's eyes darted back and forth between the couple waiting for answers.

"What do you mean, you promised them? This was planned beforehand?", she asked breathlessly, trying not to cry. The idea of George keeping a secret that big to himself, hurt her in a way she never expected. 

"Yes...Accio!", Bill held out his hand and waited for the object that he had summoned. An envelope floated down the stairs towards him, where he snatched it from the air and passed it to Olivia. "George had his reasons for doing what he did. He wrote them down, in case you ever found out.", he explained.

"I think it would be best if you find somewhere private to read it.", Fleur suggested quietly, watching Olivia's hands begin to tremble. On the front of the envelope was her name, written in what she immediately recognized as George's handwriting. Unable to speak, she nodded at Bill and Fleur before running back outside and down the winding path towards the beach.

She fell into the sand, crossing her legs beneath her. Holding the letter to her chest she breathed deeply, inhaling the smell of the sea. Gulls circled above her, squawking loudly at one another. Even though they weren't ideal company, their presence helped her feel less alone. Her eyes filled with tears as she carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the folded piece of parchment.

 Her eyes filled with tears as she carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the folded piece of parchment