4 - Wiggenweld

The next morning, I walked to my second class of the day alone. The halls were busy around me but it was sort of nice to have a minute with my own thoughts. Of course that didn't last too long.

"Hadleigh!" I heard a voice shout from behind me. When I turned I was met by my Hufflepuff seatmate for Potions class.

"It's Leah." I teased Cedric, bumping him with my shoulder.

"Leah." He corrected himself with a grin. "How are you today...Leah."

"Just dandy. Heading to my favorite class with my favorite professor." I smiled back at him, sarcasm dripping from my voice as we entered our Potions classroom. I actually quite enjoyed Potions and was pretty talented in it, but my association with the Weasley twins has put a damper in my relationship with my professor. Unsurprisingly, Snape was already in the front of the room preparing some things for today's class. Cedric pulled my chair out for me before taking his own seat to my right.

I pulled out my notebook as I listened to a story Cedric was telling me about something one of his many Hufflepuff friends had said this morning at breakfast. It wasn't exactly my type of humor but I laughed along with him anyways.

Snape slowly approached our table, eyeing me the entire way. "Ms. Hadleigh. How are you feeling?"

"Fine." I looked at him slightly confused before I realized I was 'sick' just last night. "Well I mean much better than last night. Last night I was really sick. Just awful."

I could hear snickering from behind me and shot a glare at the two red headed boys. Snape must have also noticed because he slowly stepped towards the twins before muttering one word. "Detention."

"What? That's rubbish!" George argued. Snape still holds quite the grudge on them after the dungbomb incident at the end of last year.

"Would you like two days detention?" Snape taunted before turning towards the front of the room and starting the class.

"Oi! How come you never get in trouble?" Fred whispered to me.

"I'm a girl." I stuck out my tongue at him. My partner gave me a confused look to which I just mouthed 'I'll explain later.'

Snape continued the lesson, teaching us about the Wiggenweld Potion. Apparently it can be used to heal common injuries. Despite the pretty interesting potion we were learning about, his monotone voice made it nearly impossible to pay attention. At times I had to catch myself from drifting off.

"Now. Work amongst your partner and begin cultivating your Wiggenweld Potion." He strode across the room, closing the musty book he was reading from and setting it on his desk. "I advise you to take your time and make sure you are confident in it's capabilities...it's imperative that you are."

I scribbled down a few more notes as Cedric started to gather ingredients from one of the shelves surrounding us. He was kind and always did his fair share of any partner work but struggled to understand everything Snape taught us. I'm sure he had a hard time paying attention to the monotone as well. "Could you help me with this? I'm not very good in this class." He chuckled as he dropped in a few drops of salamander blood, turning the mixture in the cauldron a bright orange color.

I smiled and nodded, standing next to him so I could help. "You have to keep adding a drop at a time and stirring until the color turns red before we can add the other ingredients." I examined as I did exactly what I described. Our shoulders brushed slightly as I went on to show him the proper technique for crushing the Moly plant for the potion.

"The potion appears to be of the proper color." Snape observed, glancing into our cauldron. "Are you confident in your abilities, Ms. Hadleigh and Mr. Diggory?"