17 - Tri-Wizard Tournament

The subsequent school year came fast after that day. I felt slightly guilty about it, but I had to leave out the small detail of the Cruciatus Curse when I informed my father of what had happened that night. The minute I mentioned the Death Eaters alone his face had gone pale. I'm surprised he even knew who they are.

It took a bit of convincing but he had let me board the train to Hogwarts this morning. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley assured us it would be an exciting year, but if it's anything like the excitement at the Quidditch World Cup I'd rather just skip it.

When we arrived at Hogwarts, everyone was sorted in the Great Hall as usual. I tucked my skirt under myself as I sat down on one of the hard wooden benches. Ginny sat to the left of me while the twins sat across from me.

George and I hadn't really talked about that night at the Burrow. Things have actually been a bit weird between us. And it's driving me crazy. Though maybe it's better for me to have time to sort out my own feelings without him. I feel like I can't sit close to him anymore without feeling that thump in my chest and flutter in my gut. He flusters me to no end. I nearly jumped out of my skin when his hand brushed mine on the train ride here.

"Hadleigh! What a pleasure. Did ya miss me?" Lee wrapped an arm around me as he sat down to my right, jostling my shoulders and effectively pulling me from my thoughts.

"Of course I did." I grinned, leaning my head on him.

Dumbledore stood behind the podium at the front of the room. "Now that we're all settled and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This year there will be no Quidditch."

There were loud protests from the entire room but especially from the twins across from me. "We practiced all summer!" Fred exclaimed, his brow furrowed in anger.

"Instead." Dumbledore made a point of ignoring my the disgruntled students. "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see...Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard Tournament." He paused as the entire room erupted in applause and cheers. "Now for those of you who do not know, the Tri-Wizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime."

A group of girls dressed in baby blue, silk dresses and matching hats flounced into the Great Hall. Butterflies erupted through the room as they twirled around.

"It's our lucky day." Fred whispered to his friends. I rolled my eyes at the boys like I normally would but couldn't help the slight twinge of jealousy at the thought of George ogling those girls too. I watched on as a massively tall woman followed behind the Beauxbatons.

"Blimey, that's one big woman." Lee mumbled, his jaw dropping as he watched her pass.

"And now our friends from the north. Please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the high master,  Igor Karkaroff." Dumbledore announced, drawing our attention to the door once more.

A group of older looking boys marched in brandishing bo staffs. They twirled them around, occasionally stamping them on the ground as sparks flew. A couple of the boys breathed fire into the air.

"Were we supposed to prepare some stupid extravagant welcome?" I whispered, causing the small group around me to laugh.

"Blimey it's him, it's Viktor Krum!" Ron gasped as we watched the legendary seeker we had just seen in action walk alongside their high master.