19 - Amortentia

I stared at the ceiling ahead of me, my eyes tracing the long crack that split down the center of our dorm. My notebook was laid beside me and my arms loosely by my sides. My thoughts however were completely somewhere else, mainly circling around George Fabian Weasley.

"To write an essay you actually have to, you know, write?" Alicia teased me from where she was sat at her desk. "And you're no better, Angelina."

"How can they possibly expect us to focus on school with all that's going on!?" Angelina sounded exasperated as she flopped backwards over her bed, letting her black hair hang just above the floor. "It's hard to get excited about Sneezewort when in a few days two of our friends will be competing in a deadly competition!"

The three of us erupted in laughter as the door to our dorm swung open. "Let's get some studying done!" Katie smiled, textbooks in hand. "Leah, George gave me a letter to give to you."

"Thanks." I smiled, instantly ripping into the letter. I was so thankful for the Weasley's allowing me to use their owl occasionally. We found in past years that sending mail to Hogwarts the regular way took months. So when the Hogwarts owls were busy, I sent letters to my dad through Errol. Errol didn't seem to mind flying just a little past the Burrow every once in a while and I was sure to bring him lots of special treats to keep him happy.

'Leah,

I have missed you dearly, darling. Ms. Baker next door has been sending me so many casseroles I may be sick if I even see another one. She worries about me here on my own so she's been coming over for the occasional tea. Also, that calico is still coming by the back porch. So I do have a friend for breakfast and dinner, too. But that's about all that has happened on my end since you left for school.

I'm sorry to hear that you are missing your friends now that you've started N.E.W.T. level classes but you should be very proud of yourself. Though I imagine Fred and George's grades have slipped...

Enjoy the tournament and I'm sure your friend's Harry and Cedric will do just fine. Write me back as soon as you're able to with your new course load.

Much love,
Dad'

I grinned down at the paper in my hand and pictured my dad hunched over the desk in his study, writing away. I'm relieved to hear that he's getting some company while I'm gone. Normally he just throws himself into his work.

I wrote him back a quick response and decided I would drop it off to Errol after lunch. He would probably enjoy a bit of bread crust if I could get it.

* * *

I took a bite of my mashed potatoes, my mind still on my school work as my friends chatted around me. The school day had actually gone really well. I'm rather on top of my work this semester despite the rigorous class load. The only thing that drew my attention away from my blank stare was a tap on my foot. I looked up and met eyes with George from across the table, his eyebrows furrowed. 'You okay?' He mouthed.

I blushed slightly and nodded, offering him a smile. I wish my cheeks wouldn't flush every time he interacted with me. I'm still surprised Fred hasn't noticed any changes in our behavior—but they've been pretty busy with something on their own. They won't tell me anything about it, but I've caught them whispering over a letter many times in the common room. Every time I've said something about it they have quickly changed the subject.