1.30

"When I found out about him having cancer, he was in stage two already but the doctors had high hopes that he would be able to beat the cancer. Which they were very much wrong about." Dakota paused and sighed looking at the ground with a small frown on her face.

"He ended up getting worse and worse. He spent so many days and months in hospital after hospital. Jada's mother helps pay for the hospital bills and Knox pays for the bills on this place. I would help out when I could with all the bills but honestly it's too much" Dakota continued and cleared her throat looking at Kaia.

"But then slowly Ares began to get better so the doctors gave us the clear to take him home to let him stay with us for the holidays this year. On Thanksgiving evening um I came home from Zyria's family diner and Ares was laying on the bedroom floor not moving. The babysitter told me that he fell and she called 911 but they are very backed up. So I ran out the house and told Knox and we took him to the hospital"

"I know what you are thinking why didn't you stay with him if he was home for the holidays and honesty i don't know. I didn't want to bring him to the dinner because being around a lot of people at one time scares him but then also he kept telling me about how he wants me to bring him back some food. I don't know why I decided to go to that dinner but I wish I didn't." Dakota paused and sighed shaking her head.

"God I wish I didn't go to that stupid dinner" Dakota let out a sob and clenched her hands into fists. Kaia reached over to grab Dakota's hand but she shook her head moving her hands away causing Kaia to sigh.

"Ares was hospitalized again and the doctors ended up making me make the hardest decision I ever had to make. I had to chose whether to take away the one thing my son had to live and watch him die or I could watch him suffer and slowly die to the cancer. I didn't want either but I ended up choosing to watch my son die."

"I chose to take away his oxygen and to watch him slowly die in my arms while I held him." Dakota said as she glared at the table angry with herself.

"Dakot-"

"I had to watch my baby boy die and I couldn't do nothing about it" Dakota said as she stood up the table quickly shaking her head.

"Dakota it's not your fault." Kaia said grabbing her turning her to her.

"I should h-have t-taken him s-somewhere else maybe then he c-could get better w-with better doctors and t-treatments." Dakota said rubbing her face as she cried.

"Dakota listen to me" Kaia started but Dakota shook her head repeatedly.

"I'm his mother I was suppose to protect him and keep him safe but I f-failed him. I failed as a mother" Dakota cried before pulling at her hair shaking her head.

"I should've taken him somewhere better-"

"DAKOTA" Kaia screamed and Dakota jumped looking at Kaia who looked pissed off.

"You are an amazing mother. You were able to get him help and treatment. You were able to be by his bed side every time he needed you there. You were his shoulder to cry on but also to laugh on. You helped him every step of the way Dakota. You are amazing and Ares wouldn't want you to be sitting here crying thinking that you were a horrible mother" Kaia said holding Dakota's shoulders as she stared into her eyes.

"You didn't fail him Dakota. You saved him" She added and Dakota's lip quivered before she nodded letting out a big and loud sob. Kaia quickly hugged Dakota's body to hers and held her close as her girlfriend began to cry loudly into her shirt.

"It's okay"

"It's okay" Kaia kept repeating over and over again as she rubbed Dakota's back and held her close.

~~~

"She's exhausted and um" Kaia looked at her girlfriend who was now laying in her bed from the help of Knox. She looked at Knox and sighed running her hand down her face.

"Can I stay with her tonight?" Kaia asked Knox who frowned and nodded before leaving the room quietly but not before giving Dakota one last look.

"God what am I going to do with you Dakota" Kaia mumbled to herself and slowly walked over to Dakota who was snoring softly in her sleep. Kaia laid down next to her and wrapped her arm around her holding her softly.

She stared down at Dakota biting her lip. Using her free hand, she ran her fingers through her hair as she watched over her.

"Why were you letting yourself go through this alone" Kaia mumbled and kissed Dakota's forehead softly before getting comfortable and falling asleep as well.

~~~

"This is Zyria. I'm unavailable right now but please leave a message after the beep" Knox sighed at the voicemail before hanging up quickly. He stood outside of her house and stared up at her room window that was lit up from the lights inside.

He knew that Zyria saw him calling her and he understood why she would ignore his calls since he had been ignoring hers since Ares' death.

Knox🖤
Can we talk please?
Delivered at 11:55pm
Read at 11:57pm

...

Knox stared at the three little dots for a long time before they stopped and he was left with nothing. The boy groaned and sighed before looking back up at Zyria's bedroom window. He shook his head and walked back toward his car getting in and quickly driving away.