Chapter 6: Scout mission

AN: here's chapter 6. Enjoy people.

Lila's POV: (6 days later)

Today, I inserted amber contacts, dyed my hair brown and drew on fake freckles- I needed to be completely unrecognisable. I then put my satchel over my shoulder, put on fake black glasses and left. I then walked to the Torinso Towers (AN: made up name)- a run-down building in the shady part of town.

I know why Woods chose that place. When we were younger, Jaz. Jake and I used to reside in that shambles of a building. God, that felt like a lifetime ago.

Sighing, I plastered a confident smile on my face and scouted the building.

"Oi!" A gruff voice yelled, "What do you think you're doin' here?"

I turned around, "Hello, I'm Lisa Drentino, and I write for the New York Times," I quickly showed him a piece of paper, not long enough for him to see what was written, "I'm here to write an article on the history of old buildings."

The Guard grunted and scratched his scraggly beard, "Well, there ain't anything to see here."

"Oh, that's what you think!" I said with fake earnest, "this building has been around for years! Who knows? There could be hidden gold, antiques or anything, really. Don't you want to do your part for the country?"

The Guard sighed, "Alright, then. Have a quick look around and come back."

I smiled, "Thank you, Sir."

X

When the Guard was out of sight, I quickly snuck inside the building, eager to begin my search. However, after hours of looking, I found nothing. The building really was just a run down old relic. I'd carefully combed through all of the twenty stories, but came up with nothing. The most exciting thing I'd found was a red fish drawn behind a broken couch on the seventh floor. However, it didn't do anything particularly special.

Gritting my teeth in frustration, I went back down.

"Hey! Reporter Lady," Guard walked up to me, "You find anything?"

"No," I sighed, "nothing really interesting." And left.

The next day:

I was in a crabby mood. I was so close to finding Mr. X, and my latest source turned out to be fake. I was going to murder Leon- assuming my brothers haven't already.

"Hey Amelia!" Ashton called.

"What?!" I snapped harshly.

"Woah!" Ash stepped back, "someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!"

"Urgh, sorry," I sighed, "I've just had a really bad weekend."

"Oh, wanna talk about it?"

"No, but thanks," I smiled, "I'm gonna go to class. See you."

I went to Maths and sat at my usual place. Sadly, a familiar figure took the empty place to my right.

"Hey," Jared winked, "do you have a map? I'm getting lost in the twinkle of your eye."

I rolled my eyes, "Sorry, no map," I smiled with fake sweetness, "so why don't you just get lost?"

Jared opened his mouth to answer but Miss Gramni (yes, she was still teaching there) began the lesson.

X

After the lesson, Jared still wouldn't stop bothering me. Just as I was about to snap, a cool voice spoke up from behind me.

"Is there a problem?" Xander asked, glaring daggers at Jared.

"No," Jared squeaked and ran off.

"Thanks," I smiled at Xander.

"No problem," he replied gruffly, "Listen," he sighed, "I don't know whether what Drake was saying last week was true. If you do know where Lila is, could you please tell her that we miss her very much and I love her and am sorry for all the things I said to her?"

I almost started crying. I'd missed my brothers so much it hurt to breathe. I wanted to take off my disguise and reveal my true identity, but instead, I smiled. Xander nodded and left.

Groaning softly, I leaned against the blue lockers. Why did it have to be so hard?

End of chapter 6.

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked it!

Stay safe everyone!