Chapter 15: Debts Must Be Repaid

It's been a week since Dante's incident with the public. As Marinette had promised Ladybug did vouch for his good character and explained that what was doing wasn't technically illegal since he hunted criminals for the United Nations. This was enough for most people to forgive him and move on but of course there will always be a few people who bear hatred for him, not that he cared. The only person's opinion he really cared about was Marinette's who was the first to be on his side and out of appreciation for her, Dante decided to retire from his assassination career.

As of now though, Dante was helping Marinette with her hangover by giving her pain relievers and water which she gladly took.

Marinette: "This is the last time I ever let you get me drunk."

Dante: "I didn't think you would be like that after only one bottle. I thought you could handle two at least."

Marinette: "An entire bottle for one person is a lot for most people."

Dante: "Not where I'm from. Besides it wasn't all that bad. You were very affectionate with me."

Marinette: "What are you talking about?"

Dante pulled down the collar of his shirt to show Marinette the two hickey marks she left which made Marinette both blush and embarrassed.

Marinette: "When did I do that?"

Dante: "When I was carrying you to your bed."

Marinette: "That's it, next time I'll make sure you get drunk so you can make a fool of yourself."

Dante: "You will never get me to ingest enough alcohol for that to happen."

Marinette: "And why is that?"

Dante: "I’m a high-functioning alcoholic, Mari. We prefer to do our serious drinking alone. So that when we weep, we can wallow in self-loathing without embarrassment."

Marinette: "Well damn. Okay well I'm going to get back at you at some point so watch yourself. Now get out I need to change."

Dante: "As you wish."

Dante left Marinette's room and closed the door behind him. He walked into the living room and waited for her to get ready. At this point Kaitto flew out to talk to him.

Kaitto: "You really care about that girl."

Dante: "What do you mean?"

Kaitto: "You retired as an assassin for her."

Dante: "She really helped me out of a bad situation Kaitto. It was the least I could do."

Kaitto: "No, the least you could've done was nothing. You just wanted to make her happy."

Dante: "Is that really so wrong?"

Kaitto: "Not as long you don't forget about our mission. Being a legal assassin was a convenient excuse to do what we wanted while searching the world for the primordial Miraculouses."

Dante: "I haven't forgotten Kaitto. I will still do what I have to. And as for being an assassin, I no longer need to do it. I racket up so many favors that I could wipe out entire cities and it still wouldn't be a problem. As for the second reason you should know that assassination was not my only source of income or even the largest one at that."

Kaitto: "Alright I get it. Just remember the bigger picture okay?"

Dante: "Got it."

Kaitto flew back into hiding and a couple minutes later Marinette's door opened. Dante turned around to see her fully dressed and holding a duffel bag.