chapter four.

"I'm a HYBRID!" Klaus roared, until his throat hurt. "A deadly, manipulative HYBRID!" He kicked over the coffee table in his living room, before grabbing the lamp and slamming it onto the floor. He sensed a presence in the room, and whisked around with angry eyes. "Say that a bit louder, brother. I think the people in Hawaii are having trouble hearing you." Rebekah exclaimed.

"What do you want?" He asked, angrily.

"Oh, nothing. I was just watching you telling the furniture what species you are." Rebekah replied. Klaus sighed and narrowed his eyes.

"Get gone, Rebekah."

"Is something wrong?"

"No."

Rebekah let out a laugh. "Right. So you're destroying the living room for no reason at all?"

"I needed to reassure myself. Is that so bad?"

"Reassure yourself of what? That you're a hybrid?" She asked, folding her arms across her chest. "Ohhhh, wait. I think I know what this is about." She smiled.

"You have NO idea." Klaus shouted.

"Serenity." Rebekah raised her eyebrows, and half smiled at the look on Klaus's face.

"Well... She's a very charming girl. How do you know her?" He narrowed his eyes at her.

"I beg you to rethink this, brother. This is a human we're talking about. And I know her because I overheard Stefan and Elena talking about how much trouble she's getting herself in to, as Elena saw you and her together. On a bench or something. Not sure. Oh, and they were planning on heading over to her house to warn her off." Rebekah replied.

Klaus's expression changed from anger to surprise. For a split moment, Rebekah thought she saw heartbreak race over his face. Until he shrugged and the illusion of Klaus actually being capable of having feelings fell apart. "Good." That was it. That was his reply.

"Is that all? 'Good'? Do you like this girl?" Rebekah questioned. Klaus walked closer to her.

"What does it matter, sister? I'm a hybrid. She's a human. She couldn't handle it. I kill people on a daily basis, Rebekah. She just... reads books on a daily basis. Do you see the difference? I can't fall for her."

"You fell for Tatia." Rebekah said, simply. Klaus's heart broke. Tatia...

Flashback - Middle Ages

"Death will never touch us, Niklaus." Tatia whispered, tears welling up in her eyes. She intertwined her fingers with his. The way she pronounced his name gave him all the hope in the world, although her tone of voice was laced with doubt. Everything inside of him was screaming to embrace her in his arms and never let her go, to protect her from everything he has ever done wrong. He stood there, looking into her eyes. Oh, her eyes. Not only the beauty, but the way he could see what emotion she was feeling, sadness, happiness, excitement, heartbreak. Everything was so visible in them. It was like he was looking into a completely different world. She's the epitome of perfect. "Pride is not a virtue I wish to pursue anymore, Tatia. I wish to be a better person. For you. For us." He whispered as gently as he could, for her was afraid to hurt her, as she was so fragile. Their foreheads were leaning against each other, as he released his hand from hers and locked his arms around her. "I love you, Klaus." Tatia said, her tone beginning to get louder. The tears rolled down her cheek and she began to cry, barely breathing.

"Shh, I love you too. I love you so, so much." A horrible pit of longing grew in Klaus's stomach. Only, he did not know that he would lose her tonight, to his very own mother using her in the sacrifice. He did not know these were the last words they were ever to exchange.

The feeling of hate he had for his mother and father for snatching her away from him grew bigger and bigger as he remembered what happened. "I hate them. Both of them." Tears welled up in his eyes but he quickly blinked to make them fade out.

"Hatred... anger... all these feelings, Nik. Let it embrace you. They rejected us, hated us. They wanted you to suffer, wanted you to drown in despair by taking her away like that. They never saw us as humans..." Rebekah said, with a hint of anger in her voice. "They saw us merely as abominations that should be obliterated. We are one, Klaus. Me, you and Elijah. That's it. That's who it's ever been. I've seen, felt and heard all the pain and misery you have experienced. A cursed existence, maybe. But I ask you one question." She continued, Klaus staring at her anxiously. "Do you not want revenge?" She asked. Klaus scoffed.

"What sort of question is that?" He snapped.

"A simple one. Don't you want to make them feel the pain and suffer they made you feel? Don't you want to show them who the real demons are?" Rebekah asked.

"How would I ever do that?" He asked, looking at her as if she was stupid. She took one step closer to him, her high heels slamming against the wooden floor.

"By moving on." She said. What? Klaus thought. Rebekah turned around, her blonde hair whipping Klaus's face. Whatever it takes, he thought. For me. And most importantly... for Tatia.

Flashback - Middle Ages

Tatia giggled. That sweet giggle, Klaus thought. He smiled widely at her, taking steps closer to her and taking her hands in his. "This is what love should be." He said. Tatia looked away, guiltily.

"But... my dear Niklaus. Forever is a very long time. To anyone. Let alone a..." She stopped.

"Go on, say it." Klaus said.

"A vampire." She pursed her lips, meeting her eyes with his. Klaus fell back, and beamed a smile.

"Well, my beautiful Tatia, that's the mystery of life!" He let out a laugh. She half-smiled. He stopped laughing, and tilted his head, staring at her face. The face he had loved for so long. His eyes stared deeply into his as he walked closer to her, closing the space between them. He looked down as her, his expression more serious. "We're soulmates." He whispered, and caressed her face gently, letting his fingers trace her jawline. He picked up her chin and kissed her softly.

~

ok so i'm sorry this chapter hasn't had any serenity in it, but it's just setting a background story of klaus's love life and why he's going to find out more about serenity. it's a dick move to fall in love with someone because of revenge he wants, but i guess that's why klaus does it ;-) next chapter will be uploaded soon, i hope you enjoy :-) x