Yulemas

Thankfully, there was no one in the room when Rowan and Aelin walked in from the tapestry-hidden stairs.

They were in Rithfold now, at the new castle which was cozier and less threatening than the glass one that once stood there. It was smaller in size and mostly made of stone, more like home. Just like Dorian always wanted it to be.

"Hey, where's she?" Aelin said as she entered the Westfall's room.

Chaol knew she wasn't talking about Yrene.

"In there with her mother." He said roughly, pointing to an inner chamber.

"Why are you so gruff today, if I may ask?" Aelin said as she looked towards him. He definitely looked down.

"Hafiza seems to be a bit afraid of me. She loves Dorian though." He answered and it was true. Yrene had taken her in because the little girl had started crying when Chaol attempted to sing her a lullaby. She would always play with Dorian rather than him.

"Oh, don't worry. Let her grow up and she will realize what a cinnamon roll you are." Aelin tried to cheer her friend and patted him on the shoulders before going to the room Chaol had told her to.

"I am a – what?" Chaol said to himself.

Yrene and Hafiza were playing there or as much playing what a month-old could do.

"Hey, sweetheart." Aelin said as she lightly poked Hafiza on her nose.

"Merry Yulemas, Aelin." Yrene said.

"Well looks like I got you something." Aelin said as she pulled out a gold necklace for the little girl but Yrene stopped her, "Aelin, you already sent twelve birthdays worth of gift with that messenger."

"Come on, she ought to know I am her best aunt." Aelin as she gave the necklace to Yrene.

They had been to the temple this morning for the Yulemas prayer. The gift exchanging was to take place after lunch and the ball (which is the best part of Yulemas celebration) wasn't until late evening, so Aelin still had a couple of hours to herself which she would likely spend by roaming the castle.

The gift exchanging took place quite smoothly.

"Aelin, you don't mind coming with me to the lower corridor, do you?" Dorian asked her and just to be clear, he added, "For your gift, of course."

"Of course." Aelin nodded as they walked down the stairs.

He opened a nice cupboard and pulled a thick book before saying, "There you are."

Aelin took the book, inspecting it for a few seconds. It was newly printed, she could feel it and the title was written in bold, black letters – 'The Valg Wars'

"It has got everything. Everything from when Maeve entered this realm to" He took a gulp "the war we fought. I don't want people to remember you as only a damsel in distress like they did to Elena."

"Is there...you know... Elena's history" Aelin asked hesitatingly which received a curt nod from Dorian.

"You can change something if it isn't appropriate. That is a part of reason I am giving it to you." He said slowly.

Aelin's eyes lurked at the heavy book for a few seconds and then rested on Dorian who seemed to have recovered from whatever fear which was in his eyes only few minutes ago.

"And this isn't the only gift I got you." He said, back to his charming self, and pointed towards another set of books. Books which had no mention of such horrors. Books which Aelin would thoroughly enjoy. And besides that small tower of books, there was a bag full of delicious chocolates.

"Thank you, Dorian." Aelin whispered as she hugged the sapphire-eyed king.

Telling that the ballroom was nicely decorated would be understatement. It was literally shining.

Aelin wore a long, flowy golden ball gown which earned many compliments from everybody.

Dorian who wore a shiny blue suit that matched his eyes bowed a bit in front of her, offering a hand for the first dance. It was a tradition that if a foreign monarch comes to any celebration, the ruler should have the first dance with her as an honor. Aelin accepted his hand.

"Why you look jealous? He got me chocolates." Aelin said to her mate who stood there looking a tiny bit bitter.

Rowan let out what maybe a sigh of relief when he said to Dorian, "Well then congratulations on being Aelin's favorite person till..."

"Someone else gives her more chocolates." The shifter completed for him.

They left Rithfold next morning. Rowan and Aelin were sitting alone in the Royal carriage with the seven books and two kilograms of rich chocolates.

Love,

Memeismeme  : )