Emma and Charles Cadevalle

Rowan left the room with a grunt. Aelin didn't want him to be there when the healer came because, according to her, his very presence was overbearing for poor Emma. Of course, he was worried. Pregnancy in Fae is much more fatal than in humans. Though Aelin has settled, it doesn't lower the risks. He just stood a safe distance away from the room, mumbling to himself about how stubborn Aelin is.

His temper rose when he saw the Fae enter their room instead of bowing outside the door and leaving like he did the last time.

Charlie bowed, his head lower than his knees, and said, "It is an honor to meet you, your Majesty."

"You must be Charles Cadevalle, son of Lord of Cadvalle. Got quite a story, haven't you?" Aelin said sweetly as she motioned them to sit.

"I am afraid my fame has spread far wider than I had expected." He let out a chuckle despite himself.

Emma blushed.

"All we know is that you went to the Southern Continent and met her at the Torre. It is a pity the reporters keep most of the details for themselves." Aelin said, a knowing smirk etched on her face when she asked, "All I want to see is why a Fae who lived in Doranelle and was uninjured, went to the Torre at the first place."

"I assume you already know more but want to hear it from me. It is quite a long story and I don't think His Majesty would like to stand outside for the whole time." He said and received a look from Emma that meant you-are-talking-to-the-queen-you-fool but Aelin didn't seem to mind it so he continued, "To be brief, I fled from my home because I wasn't an heir anyways and I met my mate in that ship not at the Torre."

Then Charlie did the most stupid thing Emma could have expected, he pressed a small kiss on her forehead. In front of the Queen. Her cheeks reddened so much, they looked like tomatoes.

"And my father isn't the Lord anymore." Charles said as he got up to take his leave. Aelin gave him a confused look which made him add, "Her Majesty, Queen Sellene Whitethorn, confiscated his land for his principles being" He hesitated for a moment, trying to find a different word but couldn't "Maeve-ish."

Oh.

"They run a bakery at the capital now. Nothing to worry, my grandfather was a baker before he got the land." Charlie said, his voice as low as a whisper.

"And you? What do you do?" Aelin asked the male who seemed to hesitate but Emma answered, "He helps me with my work. Certainly, being a former Torre guard has some advantages."

"How would you like being a castle guard? The recruitment program starts tomorrow morning." Aelin kindly offered.

"I would be more than honored." And with that, the Fae took his leave.

Emma did a general check-up of the Queen and left half an later.

Charles Cadevalle was quite a warrior himself. He defeated ten guards in hand-to-hand combat, passed the weapons test to become a second-level guard at the Orynth castle.

Aelin herself gave him the uniform and the badge before she led him to an underground corridor where Ren Allsbrook, the Captain of Guards, sat on a wooden bench, cleaning and polishing his swords.

"Ren." She called out. "Your new recruit – Charles Cadevalle."

"I think I have heard that name before." Ren said but didn't go any further. "Fourth-level guard?"

"No. A second-level." Aelin told him. Ren looked at him for a good ten seconds before nodding his approval. They shook hands and Charlie went to his room to change into his new uniform. He was to start his duty today itself, positioned at the first floor corridor.

The next sessions with Emma were quite easy. They would spend most of the time talking about their mates (mostly Charlie). On her fifteenth visit to the Queen, Emma saw Aelin give her a sweet smile before asking her to sit beside her.

"Raphaela is growing old, isn't she?" Aelin said.

"I don't see why your Majesty would be telling this to me." Emma said, careful not to sound too ignorant.

"Would you become the Head Healer?" She asked, just like that.

Emma couldn't know what to reply. Being the Head Healer was a great responsibility, a responsibility she wasn't sure she could handle besides she was just twenty six. How could the Queen ask it so simply.

"I cannot think I could..." She started but Aelin interrupted, "Why do you doubt? Raphaela chose you."

"Raphaela chose me?" Her voice was breaking.

"Yes, dear." came a familiar voice and then a familiar face. The Head Healer stood in front of her, a bright smile on her wrinkled face and her grey hair tied in a loose braid.

She had come in from the behind the Queen, wearing the same lavender dress like other healers. The only way to mark her as the Head was a big brooch made of silver and emeralds which she pinned at her chest. It matched well to the green borders of their robes. It is said that Silba's heir gave the Queen this brooch and the Queen decided it to be passed on to the Head Healer so the goddess may bless them.

"I think it is time for me to step back and you to step up." She said, her brown eyes so full of kindness, as she pinned the brooch on Emma's dress. Emma couldn't help as warm tears flooded her eyes and hugged the elderly women.

"I...I..." Emma tried to speak something nice. She really did but nothing came out except the two most sincere words she could offer. "Thank you."

 I absolutely loved writing this chapter and I am thinking about writing a complete different story about Emma and Charlie. I am not sure though and even have no idea how long it will take.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

Love,

Memeismeme : )