1. Coffees and Calls

I sighed as I cleaned up the coffee one of my customers had spilled

I sighed as I cleaned up the coffee one of my customers had spilled. Leah was always a bit of a klutz.

"Oops!" she'd said when it spilled. "Sorry, Cas!"

I just laughed and shrugged it off, "Don't worry, Leah. I'll get that cleaned up straight away!"

I thought about the upcoming finals week. I was ready for them, but definitely not for what came after. The Roseville University Talent Show. My best friend, Maddie kept trying to get me to dance in it. Even though I love dance, I think it's a distraction.

If it turns into more than a hobby for me, I don't think I'll be able to balance everything. Call me a know-it-all, but I'm a perfectionist. I can't live knowing that something in a pattern is incomplete or a tune of a famous song is unfinished. I've been going to therapy for a few years about it, but it didn't help much.

And to be honest with you, I don't really care. All I care about right now is finding a way to pay my tuition at the end of the year, and passing my finals.

I'd tried really hard to get a scholarship, but all of them were already given away. After my dad died, he left me and my mom in a lot of debt, and we faced some issues with the inheritance.

Luckily, me and my mom somehow were able to afford the tuition for the last few years, but this semester was different.

My mom had been forced into retirement by the company she worked for and the next pension wasn't enough to pay the tuition.

"Hey, Cassie!" my coworker's voice interrupted me from my thoughts. "We're closing up for the day, you can leave now," James said.

I looked up from the floor I'd been mopping for so long it was already clean. "Thanks, James," I said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek as I took of my apron and hung it on the rungs behind the counter.

I walked into a door marked, "EMPLOYEES ONLY" and walked to my locker. I crouched down to open it and grabbed my bag out of it. I walked out of the locker room, grabbed my dorm keys, and a cup of coffee from the countertop.

"Bye, James!" I waved as I walked out the door. The bell rung behind me, signalling that the door had just closed.

My phone rang as I walked through the dark street, lit up only with the street lights that hung overhead and the headlights of a few passing vehicles.

I stopped to dig around in my bag for my phone and answered it, "Hello?"

"Cassie!" my best friend and roommate's voice filled my head. "You have got to get back right now! Where are you?"

"Madison, chill," I said nonchalantly. "And tell me what's going on!

"You are not going to believe this but, Jake Hale is transferring to Roseville!" Maddie squealed.