3. Arrivals and Rivals

I stepped out of the limo and into the outside world

I stepped out of the limo and into the outside world. The cold air hit me hard and suddenly. I shuddered in the wind and prayed someone wouldn't recognize me straight away.

"Oh, my god! It's him!" someone yelled. Why does the world hate me?! "It's Jake Hale! He's here!"

"Come on!" I yelled to Nick and Hannah. Hannah was one of my backup dancers, not to mention a childhood friend, who had known me since birth. She was going to be my partner for the talent show.

Roseville was low on time and budget for a lot of individual performances, so only pairs and groups were accepted for the show. Otherwise, they wouldn't even make it to the auditions.

Apparently, those rules apply to me too.

Anyway, I grabbed Nick and Hannah's hands and ran through the crowd that was forming around us.

Robert, my chauffeur, stepped out of the limo and tried to control the crowd.

Somehow, I made it through the screaming crowd of fangirls, fanboys, obsessed stalkers, and those tabloid news reporters, otherwise known as the children of Lucifer.

Seriously though, they are out for my blood, take my word for it!

Only after we were safely inside the gates of the university did I stop running.

"That," I panted. "was downright exhausting."

"Tell me about it," Hannah agreed as she bent down to rub her ankle. "I think I sprained my ankle."

Nick and I, who had started chatting within ourselves, immediately turned our heads towards her as if to ask, "What?!"

Hannah laughed and slapped us both at the back of our heads.

"You guys are too easy!" she said as we winced. "I can dance in the show, chill."

We laughed as a tall brunette in her mid-30s walked over to us.

"Hello, I'm Mrs. Jordan," she smiled. "And I'll be your counselor for your stay at Roseville University."

I smiled back at her and shook her hand. "Hello, Mrs. Jordan. I'm Jake, and this is Nick and Hannah."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Jordan," Hannah said politely.

Nick, who was just staring at her, needed a kick in the shin from me for him to greet Mrs. Jordan.

"Nick," I whispered.

"Ow!" he yelped. Then he shook Mrs. Jordan's hand. "Nice to meet you, ma'am."

"That enough for you?" he whispered angrily back to me.

Mrs. Jordan smiled again. "Let's start your tour, shall we?"

Throughout the tour, there were always a few random girls (and even a few guys) who'd giggle when they saw me and wave excitedly.