the talk

"You had sex!"

"You had sex!"

You giggle, taking a sip of your water. "Yes, we had sex."

"How was it?"

You give a contented sigh. "It was...amazing. I don't think I've had better sex."

Lexie laughs. "I'm happy for you, bubs. Any plans tonight?"

"Not really. Spencer's on a case and I'm not sure when he's getting back. He's been busy," you tell your sister, twirling a piece of hair around your finger.

"How long have you guys been seeing each other?" Lexie asks.

You think for a moment. "Uh...three months, just about. The semester's almost over."

"Speaking of break, are you coming home to see us this year? You can bring Spencer if you want."

You smile to yourself. "Yes, I'm coming home. Don't you think it's too soon to bring him to meet my family, though?"

"I don't think so," Lexie murmurs. "Think about it."

"Fine," you grumble. Your phone vibrates and you scrunch your brows, looking at the other caller. Spencer. "Hey, I have to go. Spencer's calling."

"Okay, bubs, I love you!"

"Love you, too!" You hang up on your sister, switching to Spencer's call. "Hi, boy wonder."

"Hey, pretty girl." His voice breaks and he sniffs, and you sit up in bed, smile fading from your face.

"Spencer, what's wrong?"

"I—" He stops his sentence, and you hear him sniffle again. "Can you come over? I just got back."

"Yeah, of course, I'll be over soon, okay?"

"Okay," he whispers. "Drive safe."

"I will," you whisper back.

He hangs up and you jump off your bed. You change into a pair of joggers and a sweater, slipping your Converse on. You grab your phone and your keys before walking out of your apartment, locking the door behind you. You walk down the stairs and over to your car, unlocking it and sliding into the driver's side.

You start your car and pull out of the complex, beginning the drive to Spencer's. Worry blooms in your chest as you drive. Is Spencer okay? Did something happen to him on the case? You tap your fingers against the steering wheel, and you bite the skin on the inside of your mouth.

Eventually, you get to Spencer's apartment complex and park your car, locking it as you get out. You walk up the two floors to his apartment, knocking softly on the door. You rock back and forth on your heels as you wait, gripping your phone and keys in your right hand. After a moment, Spencer answers.

His eyes are red and puffy, his cheeks flushed a light pink. He's still in his work clothes—a blue and white striped button up tucked into a pair of black slacks, the socks on his feet mismatched. He doesn't even say anything, just pulls you in for a hug, burying his face in the crook of your neck.