Chapter 8

"The office?" Draco asked. His movements were shifty and uncomfortable. He was scared.

"Yes, sir. He asked you to come at once." Minny responded. Draco looked at you.

"Ok..." Fear settled in his eyes as he stood up.

"I'll walk with you to the house." You offered, standing. Draco helped you up before following Minny to the house. He held you back, making you lag behind the house elf.

"Y/n, I dunno what my dad wants. I've never been in his office."

You looked at him, worried. "Draco, I dunno what he wants either. But if anything happens, I promise I'll be there. I'll be just down the hall. Don't close the door all the way, so I can hear."

Draco nodded, rubbing the back of his head as he started walking again.

The crunching of the gravel underneath your feet echoed. It was quiet outside, quieter than it had been when you walked out. You were silent, feeling sick with worry. The three of you reached the door. You followed Draco through the living room and up the stairs.

Draco froze before he turned to you. "I'll tell you everything he says." Draco says. He looked at you one more time before hurrying down the hallway.

Draco's POV
I looked into Y/n's eyes. She frowned. She looked upset. I stood there, wallowing myself in her present before whatever was going to happen in my dads office. I turned away, hurrying down the hallway. I was terrified. The door of my dad's office was just barely propped open. That was weird. It was never propped open.

I knocked, my hand shaky.

"Draco. Come in." My father said.

I slowly pushed the big door open. The door creaked, and immediately I had a bad feeling. My father was sitting in his chair, his hands on his desk. The books along the walls were lined in dust, as was his office lamp. He looked at me with his icy blue eyes. Shivers ran down my spine. I slowly push the door closed behind me, leaving a very minuscule amount of space open.

"Close the door all the way, Draco." My father said offhandedly. My breath caught in my throat. "We don't need the whole neighbor hearing our private.... conversation." My father said, adding extra pronunciation on each letter.

Now Y/n couldn't hear... it would be fine. I would tell her everything. I slowly shut the door all the way.

"Yes, father?" I asked nervously.

"Sit down, Draco, please. Let's have a nice conversation, shall we? A nice little father son conversation.."

We never had conversations, ever. My dad loved to boast me, but he still considered me a burden. He tried to force me into things I haven't wanted to do since I was little.

I stared at him as I slowly sat down. I would never ever admit it, but I was terrified of my father.

"So, Draco, how are you liking our new house guest?" My father asked casually, adjusting a paper on his desk. He noticed my eyes on it and immediately covered it with something else.

"Uhm... just fine." I said.

"Just fine, you say... yes... it's funny how the two of you seemingly befriended eachother so quickly." My father said, drawing his attention to my face.

"Oh... yeah, I guess we just... clicked..."

"Clicked today? Or clicked when you first met?" He asked. His voice was calm, and curious. But it had a suspicious and tricksy edge on it, like he knew he was catching me in a lie.

"W-what?" I asked.

"You've known Y/n Y/l/n for much longer than that, Draco. Why?"

I looked down. My father scared me worse when he was a calm angry than when he was a raging angry.

"Father, I-"

"Silence. Now, you do know that she is friends with the Potter boy, do you?"

I put my head down. "Yes." I mumbled very quietly. I knew my father would be furious about this.

"Excuse me?" My father asked.

"Yes." I said louder, looking at him.

"I cannot believe you Draco. I expected much better from you." He said, his eyes shooting fire at me. It felt like he was digging a hole in the back of my head. "I am so disappointed... You may think you have her heart now, but alas, you do not." I cringed. "The amount of times I've seen his pitiful white bird flying around our house... disgusting. The audacity he has to have any contact with people in my house!"

My father slammed his fist onto the desk. I cringed and looked at the floor. It hurt even worse when my father pointed it out to me. I already knew she chose him over me. I didn't need my father to tell me that.

"You... you stick close to that girl. And that boy. You tell me what they're up to, their every move."

"But father.. why?"

"Don't ask me questions about this. Not now. Later, Draco. Later... I promise you. Stick close to them. A plan is slowly but surely coming along." My father looked at me. A plan?

"Now out. Don't come in with my permission." He said. I stood up at once, eager to get out. I bid him a quick goodbye and almost sprinted through the door. I was furious. He can't just ruin my friendship with this girl! I could've killed someone, I was so angry. Immediately Y/n rushed out from her room.

"Draco! What happened-" She asked, getting up in my face.

"Nothing." I almost yelled in her face.

"What?" She asked. Her eyes flickered with something I couldn't read.

"Sorry it's just- he just wanted to ask... how I was." She looked at me like she knew I was lying. I hated lying to her, but if I told her I had to keep a close eye on her and Potter...

"Oh... ok." She frowned. "Well, do you want to go get a snack, or-"

"No!" I shouted. I could see a hurt expression dancing across her face. I did feel bad, really bad. But I didn't want to give my father a reason to ask me what's going on in her life. I didn't want him to expect me to stalk her like he wants me to-

"Oh... um...ok." She said. I could see tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm just gonna... um... go to my room. I'll cya later." She said. She turned around before I could say a word and hurried to her room, shutting the door.

I sighed.