⁶ SANDCASTLE

AKAASHI FINISHED PACKING A BAG for the beach before meeting with his baby mama at her apartment. He went downstairs, running into Etsu in the kitchen. "Don't you hate the beach? We had to go somewhere else 'cause you didn't wanna go on my birthday that one time," she asked.

"I never said that? I just don't like how the sand gets in my shorts, and Natsuo wanted to go," he replied. Etsu thought it was funny how he would be willing to compromise for someone else, but not her.

"Gotta go now. I'll be updating you," he said, kissing her on the cheek as he left the house.

As he parked his car, he grabbed his bag, walking up to her floor. He knocked, patiently waiting for her to answer the door. "Hey, sorry. Natsuo gave me a hard time earlier, but we'll be right out. Come in," she smiled.

"It's fine, take your time," Akaashi said, closing the front door behind him. The woman continued to help her son finish getting ready, then soon came out of his room.

     "Hi, Agashee."
"Hi, Natsuo. It's nice to see you, again."

Akaashi found it cute the way he pronounced his name, it reminded him of a certain someone. "Ready for the beach, Natsu?" she asked, as he nodded with a bright smile.

"Are we taking my car or yours?" the male asked, stepping out the door first.

"We can take mine 'cause his car seat is already set up in the back," she replied, locking the front door.

"I can drive."
"Oh, it's fine, Akaashi."

"No, I insist," he said, grabbing the key from her hand. As he started the car, the female buckled up Natsuo. She kissed the top of his head before going to the passenger seat, then the raven-haired man pulled out of the parking lot.

The two conversed whilst kiddy songs played on the sound system for the young boy's entertainment. They often checked on Natsuo who stared out the window, swinging his little legs to the music. At the beach, Akaashi held their bags as she carried their son—a small plastic shovel and bucket in his hands. She found a spot offering some shade from the sun, and she laid a beach towel down.

"Mommy, can we swim now?"
"Hold on, baby. Let us get settled first."

Natsuo frowned, but listened as he started scooping sand into the bucket beside his parents. Akaashi took out his phone, "Could we take a picture? My mom wants to see him."

"Of course. Here, lemme take it."
"Oh, I want you in the picture, too."

"O-Okay," she stuttered, turning towards the boy to call him over, though it was an excuse to hide her big grin.

"Natsu, baby, can you come here for a second? Da—um, Akaashi wants to take a picture with us," she said, mentally cursing herself for almost letting it slip. The male heard, but did not address it. But his heart did backflips.

Natsuo sat between his mother's lap, and Akaashi held up his phone as the three smiled into the camera. Two teenage girls were passing by, noticing the happy family. "Hi, we can take it for you if you'd like," one of the girls offered.

"Yes, we'd appreciate it."
"No problem."

He moved closer to his baby mama, and the girl snapped multiple photos—including candids. Giving his phone back, they thanked the teenagers.