Early Mornings

it's been two months and i've finally returned

soooo sorry it's been so long and to make it up to you here's this little fluffy one-shot 

When Lucas woke up, he knew something was different. He didn't feel the need to groan dramatically or tell the sun to shut the fuck up or complain that he was just having the best dream.

Only a few moments later, he realized this was because he was living that good dream. What, in the early moments of waking up, he'd thought was a pillow that he had encircled in his arms, he now saw was instead a certain adorable redhead. They had fallen asleep with her head nuzzled in his chest, but now they were face-to-face. She wore a sweatshirt—wait a second, was that his?—and had it pulled over her chin. He laughed softly. It was barely November, yet she was constantly shivering.

Not wanting to wake her, Lucas pressed the lightest of kisses to her forehead, then the tip of her nose, and then her slightly parted lips. Her nose scrunched up in her sleep in such a cute way he wanted to cry.

In a manly way, of course.

He studied her facial features as he lightly brushed his fingertips over her arm, even though she probably couldn't feel it through the thick material of his sweatshirt. After a few minutes of just watching her sleep and smiling softly, he realized maybe her nickname for him was true, after all.

Max pressed herself closer to her boyfriend, nuzzling into his chest and wrapping both her arms and legs around him like a koala bear. Lucas figured she was still sleeping until he heard her mumble, "Morning, baby." He felt her kiss his chest.

He smiled, kissing the top of her head. "Good morning, princess. Sleep good?"

He felt her nod. "Yes."

He hummed into her hair. "Do you have anything you need to do today?"

"This is about it," came her sleepy response. "And your parents are gone...Erica's going to the Wheeler's in a couple hours."

Lucas was about to let himself get excited to finally have a day alone with his girlfriend, until her mention of the Wheeler's made him remember that, as always, they had plans with the Party. He groaned. "Shit. Aren't we supposed to go to the quarry with everyone today?"

"Ugh," Max said. "We spend every single fucking day with those idiots. Why can't it be just us?"

"Lucas," came Dustin's voice through Lucas's SuperComm, making the couple jump, then groan. "Lucas, do you copy? Lucas! Lucas, it's Dustin. Have you seen Max? We can't get a hold of her. Think something happened to her?"