45

I want to hide the truth,
I want to shelter you
But with the beast inside,
there's nowhere we can hide...

__

She was home -- with friends turned family and she couldn't have it any other way.

The bickerings and banters -- the snarky comments and the witty retorts were all part of who they were. They were what made them her safe haven.

Jiki and Nene always on each other's throats, arguing about the most random of things, to how gloomy the weather had become. Lara complaining over Elo's nepotism and then there was TJ, who'd taken a torch to her soul, lighting her up.

She didn't know where they stood yet and she preferred to let it be. She wasn't ready to let her thoughts drift to what had happened minutes ago at the pool.  Her eyes on their own accord trailed to his lips, he was speaking in a low tone to Jiki, who listened with rapt attention, nodding in between the conversation.

Her gaze clashed with his and he sent her a quick wink, causing her insides to heat up in seconds. A very clear image of what they were up to, kept playing inside her head. She could swear it was on repeat.

She blushed hard, avoiding his gaze. Same time colliding with Abike's furious ones.

She cocked an inquiring brow at the enraged girl, who showed her a firm middle finger in return.

The guys found themselves gathering round a picnic table, at Jiki's backyard after every necessary arrangement had been made. Nene had called it the 'welcome home feast' as the table was filled with enough edibles to go around. From smoked beef to poultry and other mouth watering edibles that got Elo licking his lips in anticipation.

He reached for a drumstick, eyes seeing the moon and stars. "When do I get to go these down?"

"After we've said grace!" Nene scolded, slapping his hand off the bowl, housing his latest target.

The shorter boy pouted, taking to sulking as he groaned, resting his elbow on the plastic table. 

"That's unfair," he whined, glaring at his girlfriend. "These things have got my blood and sweat on them."

"TJ and Jiki did almost everything. Do you see them complaining?" Lara spoke up, smirking at his annoyed expression.

"Kill joy. You've never wished to see me happy!"

Lara shrugged. "Fair point."

Her response caused them to snicker at the shorter boy's expense.

"Oya, let's say grace before El ends up eating in his dream tonight." Jiki suggested while they bursted out laughing, but still nodded in agreement.

Nene finally said grace and Elo sighing out in bliss, reached for the fleshy chicken lap. His eyes all dreamy as he took a bite.

"Okay, this is hands-down heaven on earth," he groaned in between bites, causing food crumbs to spray on Lara.

"And I hope you choke in between bites," Lara scowled, brushing crumbs off her shirt.

He stuck his tongue out at her. "Las Las, you'll cry the loudest if I'm harmed."

"Be deceiving yourself," she scowled, after swallowing the food in her mouth. "Choke first let's see if I'll cry or do the exact opposite."

"Are y'all seeing this!" Elo wailed in mock horror. "Lara has been influenced. She now says the most vile of words."