Chapter 1

I painfully open my eyes as I awake from my short sleep. I had dreampt of her again. The dreams got more and more vivid each time. It felt as if I could finally touch her again, feel my hand brush up against her cheek as she smiled towards me. Then it would all fade away and I was brought back to reality, a reality without her. I looked at the clock, it was close to eight am.

I decided to try to get more sleep as I had gone to bed late the night before. My eyelids closed and an image of Ortensia faded into view. I wouldn't cry for her like I usually would. It was time to move on. My eyes opened again as one of my many, many kids tried to shake me.

"Papa! Papa!" The little one yelped through frantic cries.

I jumped up and to their side, "What's wrong? Did something happen?" I question. All I got for an answer was a nod followed by multiple sobs as they ran towards the living room. Dread filled me as I ran towards the room. Maybe I was over exaggerating. Maybe they had just broken something and were afraid of what I might think.

What I found, was worse.

There lying on the floor of the living room, was my brother. The black substance running down his face was  a clear indicator. I looked around as my eyes started to tear up. All my children were in the room. "Why don't you all go find Uncle Donald?"  I ask them and they all immediately pile out the front door.

I quickly ran to the kitchen and got a wet towel, sliding to Mickey's side. I told him to look at me and his pained expression told it all.

"I-I Didn't think it hurt this bad, heh..." He stammered as I wiped his face.

"How long has this been happening?" I questioned, hoping the answer was better than what was happening.

"It just started today..." My wish came true.

"Oh, Ozzy. What am I gonna do?" Mickey said as he put his palms to his face. "I have a circus to run! Who's gonna entertain all the kids!" He started to panic.

I put my hand on his shoulder, "You can still do the circus Mick," Tears had begun to flow down my face. "We just have to limit the shows since now non-stop one's might be too much."

Mickey looked over at me, clearly knowing why I was crying. Even though I knew exactly how to deal with the Ink Illness, it was only more painful for me to see someone with it after Ortensia. He slung his arms around me and pulled me close.

"I promise you won't have to lose someone else 'cause of this, Ozzy." He was crying now as well, "We'll get through this together. Right?"

"Right..."