Chapter 39 🏇

Y/N P.O.V:

Pain. 

The overwhelming pain in my head is the first welcome I receive when I open my eyes. Everything was still blurry, like the world was overcast by a mist of confusion. I can hear voices, but they're muffled and unclear.  I blink my eyes, as it adjusts to the light and things start becoming clearer. 

I try moving my hands, but it seems as though I don't have any. As my vision clears and my hearing heightens, the first voice I hear is Taemins.

"Y/N, you- Coach! She's awake!"

What's going on? Why am I here?

I can't seem to remember what happened before the darkness and pain, and so I say almost in a whisper,

"Why am I here?" 

Coach Jaemi turns up next to me and says, 

"Don't you remember what happened? You fell off Crystal! I don't know how but when I turned to check on you, I saw Crystal running to the other side of the field and you lying on the ground."

I furrow my eyebrows as I try to remember what happens but wince when a stinging pain shoots through the back of my head again. 

A dark haired man appeared, standing at the end of my bed as he said,

"Ms. Kim, I'm doctor Jung and you're in the academy hospital. It's only normal for people to not remember things after a bad fall. But don't strain yourself or you could do more damage to the situation. Just relax now and the memories will come back to you eventually." 

He had a kind smile on his face and I don't know why, but he radiated a bright, calming aura that soothed me as I hummed in reply. 

He stepped into a room at the end of this large one and Coach Jaemi followed him in. Taemin took a seat next to me and leaned on the edge of the bed, his palm supporting his chin. 

"There's something different about you Y/N-ah.." 

He says, looking at me in a way he hasn't before. I furrow my eyebrows, saying,

"What do you mean?" 

He continues to stare right at me as he says, 

"I don't know, but you're so intriguing.. you make my heart clench at times too." 

"T-this isn't the right time Taemin.. I'm in a relationship with someone alr-"

"Jimin? That man doesn't treat you right. He can't giv-" 

"Taemin." I say sternly, eyes shut in reluctant frustration as I continue to say, 

"I like you.. but I like you as a friend and nothing more. Please don't cross the line with me, I don't want to lose our friendship over something as silly as this. I'm not the right person for you and I'm sure you'll find your significant other someday. But it's not me. I-i'm destined to be with Jimin and I love him. And he treats me perfectly right, so don't tell me-"

"Ok." He says abruptly, sitting back in his chair as I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Taemin please don't-"

"It's alright Y/N. I knew from the start that you were way out of my league and I said this as a shot in the dark. Turns out as much as I want to, I can't have you.. It's a shame that you're destined to be with him.."

"Taemin!" I say shocked as I wince once more, another shot of pain slamming the back of my head. He lowers his head, lifting himself off the chair and walking out the of the room.