the selfish elf [thranduil]

Squinting into the distance, you could not see your horse. He must've galloped away on behalf of the spider's appearance. Only the whizzing of arrows and straining of aimed bows could be heard with the occasional thud on the Mirkwood floor.

The King's elk shrieked.

Whistling, your snow-white horse approached, a little dazzled in blood but for the most part fine. Whisking yourself upon him, you strode and readied your bow, aiming for the nearest creature to slay. Legolas hid within the trees and snuck upon the vile beasts constantly, whilst Tauriel had her feet upon the ground. Thranduil was nowhere to be seen, that was correct until a flash of silver armour, a long Elven blade & white hair caught your eye. Rearing, his elk threw a spider into the trunk of a tree, the fog parting as the monster squealed in agony. Since the numbers increased, the Elvenking had departed with the guard.

Catching up to him, you spoke. 'My King, there are not but five left.'

'I am aware. Kill them all.' He ordered.

'As you wish.' You obliged, turning your steed to the left so he could leap over a branch and power to the beast that faced you head on. It was killed.

'Return to the palace.' Thranduil ordered, but you, being the curious little elf you were, saw the last two escaping. If you let them go, simply more would come back. No, this wasn't worth it.

'There are more spiders escaping, if we could ambush them before they reach the glade...'

'You will do nothing of the sort, Aramen.' The King shot a stern look at you, cursing upon your observation. Stuttering on the thought, you guided your steed.

Thranduil stared, his eyes deepening in cold & icy blueness as you galloped after the two escapees. His elk did not move.

Aimed, an arrow flung itself into a tree after impaling one of the spiders. It was covered in slick blood and although the spider squealed out, you could not tell what it was saying.

The second eight-legged enemy scuttled in your path. In one swift leap, it hurled itself into the trees and disappeared into the fog. After scanning the area, you saw a branch to climb upon; that you did, and successfully too. Hushing your quickened breaths, your pointed ears twitched at any feeble sound in the woods.

An arrow wooshed into the parting fog. Before you heard it ricochet off a tree, your body was whipped back upon the forest floor with a burning slash.

The Elvenking brandished his sword as he stood upon his elk, leaping from it and as he did so, stabbed it into the final creature's head, just between the eyes. It croaked its final breath.

Thranduil came around the bottom of the tree trunk, hearing exasperated & ragged breaths from the other side. You were leaning against it, supporting your weight with one hand on your side.

'Do you have any idea what sort of decision you just made?'

'Well-' You began, before grovelling at his feet in agony. The snowy haired elf turned his head to the side and furrowed his brow, searching for the reason of your fall. Pulling it away, your hand was coated in slick red blood. 'This may be a problem.' You said, calling out in pain before Thranduil could say a word.

*

'She needs the utmost care.' He ordered, without sparing a moment as the venom coursed in your veins.

Crying and gripping a healer's arm, you writhed in the bed. Although he did not show it, Thranduil was worried.

And so, after hours of tending to the slash of your waist, the young Aramen was healing slowly. Unbeknown to you or any of the other elves, Thranduil paid you a visit.

He heard you shift whilst gazing from the window. 'Do you know what happened?'

'Yes.'

'And do you know how stupid it was? How selfish it was?' He uttered, pronouncing the f more profoundly.

'Indeed, or, I am about to find out just how so.'

It was safe to say Thranduil was startled. 'How dare you? Don't you realise the grief it would bestow upon all the beings in this kingdom?'

Now you were startled. 'My King, why upon all Middle Earth should you care about the life of one elf?'

'Because that one elf means a great deal to me. I shouldn't want to be panged with loss in this life again.' He spoke dryly, turning to you and inching closer to the bedside. You paused.

'Forgive me.'

'You are forgiven.' He said.

You swore a smile crept onto his stoic face that afternoon.