arc four: part four

Wilbur panics, dropping his phone to the floor as the lights continue to flicker

Wilbur panics, dropping his phone to the floor as the lights continue to flicker. The man whimpers as he scrambles to find his phone, picking it up as he puts it to his ear.

"Phil, I need your help. I'm... I'm stuck in the elevator... I think it broke down. The lights went out and..." His words trailed to a dead end, a shaky breath leaving his mouth as he continued. With his fingertips cold, fear setting into his brain and locking his rationality. "Please help me," he pleads.

He hears a hitch in the other man's breathing. There's a shuffle on the line and Wilbur's grip on the handrails tightens when the elevator trembles again. Is there even a chance at survival if the chamber decides to fall?! His heart drops at the thought as a ring starts to echo in his ears, his mind going fuzzy. Wilbur won't die like this, right? Another shake rocks through the elevator and he digs his teeth into his lower lip.

"...bur? Wilbur? Are you there?" Phil's voice cuts through the ringing in his ears in an instant. "I've notified Skeppy, who's notified his mechanics. Try to stay calm for me, okay? You're not going to get hurt," The blonde spoke softly, trying to soothe him. Wilbur nods his head as if the older man could see, taking deep breaths as he felt the rapid sound of his heartbeat start to fade, him starting to become aware of his surroundings.

He tries to get a grip on his emotions, his legs no longer shaking as he positions his phone to his ear once again. "How long is it gonna be until... They come and help me?" Wilbur spoke anxiously, hoping it wouldn't be long.

The elevator lights dimmed and shut down with a click. His heart seized again and his eyes darted around the small confinement. Phil's voice sounded right next to his ears but they sounded so far away. "...soon," Wilbur managed to pick up through the thick buzzing in his ears.

Twenty-seven minutes later, Wilbur was sitting on the floor of the elevator. His breathing had steadied and he was listening to the music playing softly through the speakers of his phone. At the last syllable of the last line, as his voice was trailing off, the lights flickered on, the fluorescent glare forcing his eyes to blink and try to adjust. A couple of seconds passed with Wilbur's heart racing in anticipation until the elevator let out a low buzz and began moving up.

———

The sound of footsteps and multiple phones ringing filled the building, Schlatt in his office as he gazed at the city through the many windows. The beams of sunshine leaked through and laid themselves on the piles of papers and unfinished documents on the man's desk as he spoke through the phone he held.

"Yeah, yeah. Apparently, there's a random fuckin' teenager or whatever messing around with the InvadedLands' electricity." He spoke carelessly, his voice booming as he spins around in his chair, his other hand messing with the tip of his horns. "Wilbur and the rest want a full-on investigation on this shit." Schlatt fixes his posture, sitting upright as a series of modest knocks rang through the door. The door creaked open and a timid albino boy walked in carrying a shaky stack of files and papers in his arms.